Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my PC from ME to XP (purchased a new eMachines). My HP T45 all in one printer worked fine with ME but not with XP. I called HP and they sent me a new driver disc specifically for XP. The PC kept refusing to accept or recognize the hardware. Even checked the HP web site for their latest driver. They said that the disc I had was the latest. Commo checks failed. A window mentioned something about LPT1, and I finally found a way to see which port the printer was trying to use. I believe it was COM3. In scrolling through the ports I saw LPT1 and clicked that one. The printer worked. I was able to send print requests to the printer and it worked as before. However, on startup I keep getting windows saying 'found new hardware', 'pls insert disc', etc. The hardware incon on the bottom right of the computer has a diagonal red line through it which says: "HP Office Jet T Series: Disconnected." I also found a 'compatibilty' screen listing Win 95 up to Win 2000. I have it on Win ME right now.

I'm guessing that the new computer probably doesn't like the parallel port connections. My cable is IEEE1284 compliant. But if this is unworkable why would HP have a new driver specifically for XP?

Would greatly appreciate any comments regarding how to make the PC recognize the printer (short of buying a new one with USB connections).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, James O. Before I try something like what you suggested, aren't there any startup options I can 'uncheck' do delete the popups? I did try an 'msconfig' and unchecked the HP Office Jet block. Is that my only option or are there other internal ways to get the PC to recognize the printer?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.