Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, for all the new guys, just ignore this :)

Error:Cannot open document created in Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh version 1.x

Solution Found: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290772

Problem: I don't have my old Excel (or at least I can't find it). I do still have my old copies of Office 95 for PC but that doesn't seem to open it either. Probably because back in the day, it wasn't directly compatible.

What I need is to be able to open this file in something and get it converted to OpenOffice, Office X or Office 2003.

I'm wondering if there are old version of AppleWorks that may be able to open it?

Thanks!!!!

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
Appleworks, or Claris Works, may do it, if you have the converter plug-ins installed (the Maclink stuff). Have you tried opening it right in OpenOffice yet?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did try both OpenOffice and an old copy of NeoOffice. Neither worked. Not sure if I even have a working computer that could run Apple/Claris Works even if I could find my old install floppies :)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved:

I started digging through my old Zip disks that I used to use for backup - you know how long ago that was :) :) - and found one that had my copy of Excel 3.0 on it. Since, back in the day, the applications were self contained, I unboxed my old iMac 800, popped in the zip and fired it up. Opened the files and saved them in the new format. Then, back to the MacBook and open in my current version of Excel which should be good for a few more years.

Thanks!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.