Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened, my old computer died. I never really used it much personally, we got a new one, but the cable connection did run through it so im hoping to get it fixed soon or just give up and get back online (im at school now).

The problem is this:
Computer hangs up after giving it power, never even making it to the BIOS screen and not making a beep of any kind.
All parts are receiving power but the video card fan seems to have bugged out and the card vastly overheated, but this seems to be a old problem and shouldn't i get a couple beeps if its the card?.
Monitor receives a signal from the video card, but nothing else.
Case is extremely dusty *shrug*. Maybe from moving/storage?

Truthfully I can't even remember what kind of motherboard i have but i do know the proc is an old athlon, and the vid card is a geforce 3, we upgraded a couple years back.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Finding out the motherboard is very important. The GeForce3 requires an AGP 2.0 (1.50V) slot, so finding out if the motherboard has this is important.

How old is your power supply? What wattage? It should say on a sticker on the housing, and should be easy to see when looking in the case.

Any markings on the motherboard, or names and numbers on the larger chips on it would be helpful.

Get some canned air and clean out that case. Dust will cause components to break down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm, ill look that over once i get home but i think its an old biostar motherboard which an old nforce chip, ill correct this is im wrong. Wattage im even more clueless about but prolly 350 im guessing?

Ill try the canned air sometime though cuz my best bet is all the dust messed with my parts, and it really is dusty.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'll make a wager that your power supply is 250W.
My psychic abilities are feeling lucky today...
:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.