Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started on Friday 6/21 ...client doesnt know what she did to cause it "it just started happening....":angry2:

Ok here is the story.....

when she turns on the computer she get the "you are connected to the internet to you want to start AOL -yes or no

from the command prompt IP config shows the info from the lynksys router that is giving cable access to the 6 system peer-to-peer network....the other 5 are fine.

from the command prompt I can ping www.TLCcsi.com (my company) or www.Test.com (just a generic site to confirm the ping is working)

If (problem starting to be explained NOW!!!) the home page is set to www.MSN.com it opens to MSN.com but......

IF you go anywhere else, use any other homepage, use your favorites or even click a MSN link..... you get the following redirect

http://msid.msn.com/MPS_ID_Sharing/Redirect.asp_www. (the page you are trying to go to).ashx

I rolled her back from 6 to 5.5
cold reboot
I ran system file checker it found setupdx.dll corrupt and repaired same
cold reboot
I reinstalled win 98 SE
C/R
I re-installed back to 6
C/R
Installed critical updates
C/R
I ran a full virus scan -nothing (PC-Cillin 2002)
Did a search for the msid.msn in the registery -found nothing
C/R
I ran ad-aware from www.lavasoftusa.com (great product) it found 21 culprits -removed them
C/R
Dumped TMP,Cookies and TMP internet files
C/R

and every time the same (cant curse but would if I could) results ...the same damm redirect :upset:

Feel free....as a matter of fact PLEASE chime in on this one....off to post this in the windows 98 and Internet explorer news groups...If I get a fix before you I will post a solution

Thanks
a fustrated DOONZ:knife: :sick1: :dontknow: :gun: :flames:

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Any firewalls on the system? We've gotten a few that have installed mcafee 6 along with the firewall that comes with it. Whats in the hosts files? What about Network settings, they all ok? Have you tried removing all of the networking stuff and re-installing? That has worked before on dial up accounts.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the linksys DSL router has a firewall enabled but only 1 of the 6 systems is acting up. Network seetings are fine....she can get to the internet....MSN opens to the current page ...its when we go any where else....I get the problem.....

update

check out ...(and if you can make sense of)

I did a search for msid.msn

and found

http://msid.msn.com/
http://online.securityfocus.com/news/83
http://www.pc-help.org/privacy/ms_guid.htm

Looks like it is a bad cookie...and one that isnt easy to find because I dumped the cookies from internet tools and drilled down to the cookies folder and cleaned it up and now it happens random....:upset:

Next question....where is the cookie that is causing the problem...where is it hiding...any ideas where ese to look...:confused:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SO we narrowed it down...another reason to hate AOHELL.....:angry2:

If the client connects to AOL....then minimizes it....she can surf any webpage she chooses....if she closes AOShell then she gets the damm redirect page....ughhhhhh:confused:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Shes obviously got broadband... is it broadband AOHELL? AOL is stupid like that and make sure that you are connected with their service, otherwise the connection going into their proxy( so the can filter the adult crap and spy on your activity) has no login and blocks access. But this is only if AOL is her provider. If not let me know.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Lightpath is the ISP....cable for all that are unaware of the NewYork MONOPOLY.... They arent big enough for Exchange so thier coprate account is [email protected]...thats why the AOL issue comes up.....was trying to get them to switch to Lightpath email but they would need a domain....to complicated for someone who doesnt want to deal with computer...just use them....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Que....(its spanish... its pronounced "K"..kinda a pun in this case:D) What OS is she running... AOL has this bad habit of taking over, so in the DUN ( dial up networking) your going to see preferences for AOL ( most OSs still have DUN), or even better you can go to IE and go to Tools -> internet options -> connections and make sure AOL is set to be the default there. Once I get home I'll be of a little more help, but I'll be here off and on for about 2 more hours. Lemme know what you think

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no dial up...dircet connect

the whole office is running W98 except the server Win NT 4 ..no reason to upgraded

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Val it has to be AOhell.....but i cant justify it yet....the problem is fixed enough that I cant justfiy fixing it better....client doesnt want to spend the $$

·
Registered
12 Posts
Back on the bad cookie idea.....
If you do "find" for *.txt it'll show all cookies, along with a million other txt docs....I got 664 to wade through, but, luckily, I don't have your problem:)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks colman...Ill do a search next time I am out there....probley another month or two..they dont call until something is beyond maintiance:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.