Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may say "GmanUK has seen the light", while others might say "GmanUK, you wimpy MS XP loving freak"....the latter would be wrong...I'm here to say...for the first time in my life....I'm gonna give Linux ago!!!

So here's the new boy question - I know everyone has been in this situation before but I was wondering where to start? I need to know what is the best Linux based OS to get on with..I've got friends on Debian & Fedora Core. If I can have some input it would be appreciated....

Regards

G

·
Registered
38 Posts
If this is your first exposure to linux, you definately want something that doesnt take much work to get up and running. A very popular distrobution now that is both easy to get started in and flexible enough for advanced users is Ubuntu. be prepared to customize a lot of it however because by default a lot of the features are rather annoying. A great site for help if you do use Ubuntu is www.ubuntuforums.org and www.ubuntuguide.org.

other easy distrobutions include Fedora, SusE, and Mandriva

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
I like Fedora, but I have friends who swear by Ubuntu, and others who think Slackware is the best. I would try out different distro's if I was you, mainly a live cd. Try a live cd, Ubuntu Live, or KNOPPIX.

Don't think you're going bad, I dual booted Linux and Windows (but am liking Linux better :grin: )

·
Registered
38 Posts
Slackware is another one of my favorites but I would reccomend another at least to begin with, slackware is a little outdated, a little tougher to use, and a lot harder to get/install/upgrade software. Ubuntu is based on Debian and has a great package management software in apt. Fedora uses RPM files and has tools like yum to get software, but I have not found any distros tha work as well and have the selection you find in Ubuntu.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
837 Posts
The Great Divide... lol, since your a newb to linux, go with ubuntu or fedora, they make the installation very easy and the GUI and setup are very user friendly...

PS. Welcome To Linux

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all....have downloaded live cd of Ubuntu...will give it a damn good thrashing later and let you know how I have got on!! :grin:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I remember the live cd version was kind of skimpy and more of a demo. When I had first tried it I was put off and moved back onto Knoppix. You really don't get a good look at Ubuntu untill you install it.

Things might of changed though.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
837 Posts
no, the ubuntu live CD is more a desktop OS, with openoffice, but missing a whole bunch of features... Knoppix or SLAX is the way to go...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I agree now! Played with ubuntu live CD, gonna install full tonight! Will see the real thing then I hope....

·
Registered
1 Posts
stanthecaddy22 said:
Slackware is another one of my favorites but I would reccomend another at least to begin with, slackware is a little outdated, a little tougher to use, and a lot harder to get/install/upgrade software. Ubuntu is based on Debian and has a great package management software in apt. Fedora uses RPM files and has tools like yum to get software, but I have not found any distros tha work as well and have the selection you find in Ubuntu.
Slack is by no means out of date, though it is old (the first commerical linux distro). Slack is about stability, and the releases use only stable packages, even if that means they are a version behind. Also, if your looking for 'Bleeding-Edge' slack, there is always the current tree.
Upgrading has been made easy with tools like swaret.

Slack is the best disrto to start out with... granted, you might spend more time with google than linux if your new, it will give your more than Fedora will anyday.

Use slack if you want to learn...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.