Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhh.....another! Every once in a while I hear like this low squeek-like noise coming from the tower. It is almost as if something needs some oil put on it to make it stop. It doesn't last very long and it isn't a HIGH pitched squeek. Kind of like as if it were plastic making the noise.

Should I be concerned here with this new Dell?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Well, odds are it's one of the fans, though it might be the hard disk. If you open the case and fire it up, you may be able to localize the source of the noise.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i had a sound coming from my machine, and it was a real high pitched squeal. it would last for either a short time or a long time.

i localized it to the hard disk, but the disk wasnt the culprit.
as soon as i changed power supplies for another test, the hard disk hasnt squealed since.

so check your power supply output in the bios screen, and look for something to be a tiny bit low.

figured id relate what i found.

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
at first i thought the drive of mine that was squealing was dead too as it stopped reading, so i pulled it out of my machine.

had it in line for trash day, and then i swapped my power supply with a different one because my system wouldnt boot, and i noticed a significant difference in the speed at which my fans were spinning, and so i tested the other power supply. sure enough, it was weakening.

i put that disk back into my machine and you know what?

it is working 100% perfectly now.

~BoB~

S

·
0 Posts
But this is a new machine we're talking about. If this computer is in a cool environment when you first turn it on it could very well be one of the fans.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know if you open a hard drive where the disk is spinning it is no good because it gets dust on it but is there any way to restore it or fix it?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Never open a Hard Disk Drive.

Not unless you're done with it and are just curious what it looks like inside.

There are a few companies approved to do HDD surgery of that sort. I have never used one so I don't know any good names. You would pay them many hundreds of dollars and they would see what they can do. The data on that drive would have to be $$$$$ EXTREMELY VALUABLE $$$$$ to make it worth the money.

Some links from a web search:
http://www.disasterrecoverygroup.com/
http://www.harddriverecovery.org/

-clintfan

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well, to tell you the accepted opinions about opening hard disks.

once you open a hard disk, it is instantly contaminated with literally thousands of dust particles.

this will immediately make the disk non functional, if it seems to work at first, give it a second, and the dust will scratch away the data holding surface material.

i have known a few people, (MethHeads. tweekers i call them) who have said that they can repair them, but in the long run, it always seems to not be better off at all.

in fact, maxtor and western digital both clain that they need to be assembled in a seriously dust controlled environment.

i wouldnt ever expect one to work afterwards, at least not for more than a moment.

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I agree with the comments about opening the HDA assembly on a hard disk. Back in the old days of the original oxide coatings and the head flying height being significantly greater than it is now, I was successful in opening several drives to do enough repair to recover some data, but then they hit the trash. Nowadays, it would be far more difficult, because the heads fly a few microns over the surface, one speck of dust looks like a 6' bolder in the road at that spacing. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.