Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I tried the 2000 upgrade. Can I say "THIS BLOWS MY A**!!!"???? It wouldn't be so bad REALLY if it would work with my ethernet!!! I cannot connect to the internet!! I am at someone else's PC and thought I would try and snag a driver for my Kingston that would work with 2000. WELLLLL.....the KNE111TX that I have ONLY works with 95/98/NT.

Lovely. SO....now what to do??? How do I get RID of this piece of crap OS? I tried what I could do to uninstall....doesn't work. In the meantime, I have backed up everything. I just want to DITCH 2000 and never look back! I didn't see an option to remove it or anything when I stuck the CD Rom back in. I have no partitioned drive....no dual booting or anything like that. I tried to stick the 98 CD back in and welllllll..don't you know 2000 won't recognize the **** thing?

Who created this crap?

Help me! I am drowning in Bill Gates' nasty Microsoft world............

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hosed?

That's a good term for it, in my experience undoing an 'upgrade' is nearly impossible. They -claim- it can be done but it isn't actually true.

That's why I never use an 'upgrade'. If I'm going to change an OS, I'm going to use the full version and do a total strip down. If all of your data is backed up, that's what I recommend at this point, do a total format of the drive and start from scratch.

Also I should note, Win2K is a fine OS, it's the upgrade kit that's the problem in your case. I stripped 98SE off of my system a month ago when I finally was able to obtain 2k, and put 2k on and within about 1.5 hours I was back up and running at full capacity. All I can say is that 'upgrading' is the spawn of the devil 'redoing' is the way to go typically.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
It's not W2K, as previously correctly pointed out, it's the upgrade process. I've been running W2K for several years, and it's far superior to W98 in stability. I suggest a clean install, you'll like the results a whole bunch more.

S

·
0 Posts
I would do as johnwill suggested and replace that NIC with a new one. They are not that expensive today.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

i had a problem with win2k and alot of my hardware, but my NIC didnt care....

now the modem did, and i had to go to www.driverguide.com to get one for win2k, but i did, and it worked fine...

that site is really great, except they make you register...

(and i only say that in a bad way cos they make you give all your personal info, just to hand out the same username and password to everyone)

username=driver
password=all

i am serious, you dont need to sign up, but they try to make you, and its just so they can get your dema...

~BoB~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.