Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea how it happened, but it happened on my girlfriend's computer. She was going to install a second HD when something horrible happened... First off - She's not inept, she knows what not to do when installing something on a computer.

So, goes to boot up and after the memory and IDE checking screen, the screen fills with flashing random characters and colors. Not a good sign, as some of you know. So, I get my computer booted with her HD attached. My WinXP comp occasionally runs the little scandisk thing before it boots just because, and this happened to be one of those times. Scandisk called most of the directories on her drive corrupt, and saved them as it's own little file type. Just so you all understand the ramifications of this - At this point, it appears we've lost about 2/3 of her data, and there's some really important stuff in there.

So, the obvious question is - Is there any way I can retrieve her files? Please? It'll kill her to lose that much.

- Thanks.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You could do a search on drive recovery services on the web. But it sounds like ya'll are SOL ... unless you have a backup drive or tape.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, we do not have any data backups in place. But we will soon after this.

Just got an estimate for data recovery - $575-$1900, ouch. Not an option for us.

S

·
0 Posts
Are both of these machines running XP? If so are they both using the same file system. NTFS or FAT32

Oh We are talking about two separate machines here right.

The wording is kind of confusing.....................:winkgrin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apologize if it's confusing, heh, I'm still a little frazzled by the whole thing.

Yes, two seperate machines running Windows XP Professional, both on FAT32.

·
Registered
529 Posts
And CD-RW Backups won't work?

Skaff said:
Unfortunately, we do not have any data backups in place. But we will soon after this.

Just got an estimate for data recovery - $575-$1900, ouch. Not an option for us.
You should be able to finds something to make backups across several CD-RW disks. As far as getting the data back, try scanning through those Scandisk files with Notepad or Word or something. They're wierd-named text files. Maybe you can snag something from there (though it may take some work, and won't likely house a full file). I think that's just a wierd Windows bug that has been there the whole time. I have had a machine which ran DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and now Windows 98 do it, and I have also done it to Windows XP trying to install an old graphics program. Windows must be easy to shatter (but so is Linux, but that's beside the point. Fortunately Linux is tougher.).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Those data recovery experts should be able to snag anything.

Pseudocyber said:
You could do a search on drive recovery services on the web. But it sounds like ya'll are SOL ... unless you have a backup drive or tape.
I used to know of one and I'll pass it on as soon as I find it again. Anyway, they claim they can snag just about anything, even from a screwed CD-R or a mulireformatted hard disk. This isn't it but you can try http://www.dtidata.com/ . I think http://www.actionfront.com/AF241OVO.ASP is it, and you may want to do your own "data recovery" search. There are a bunch out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.