Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after much searching the internet (and this forum), ive given up looking and resorting to just asking. heres my problem:
on my computer i have a 40gb hd and a 160gb hd, i got the 160 to hold my music and my work (mainly 3d modelling and animation stuff) and the 40 for the system drive. right now i have my work stored on a network drive, but i want to make it available offline. but if i make it available offline it'll go to the default folder on the 40. is there any way to change the location of the offline folder to a specific folder on the 160? either by 3rd party program or preferably in windows itself? any info would be much appreciated! thanks!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
So all you want to do is copy it from the network drive to the folder of your choice? Or do you want to be able to access the work, while you aren't online (but still on the network)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want it to be able to synchronize between the two, so i can work offline and it will automatically update upon connection and vica versa.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Windows 2000 and XP are virtually identical, in fact, XP was based on the 2000 platform. It would be my guess that will probably work. If it doesn't, try this:

Go ahead and move your files from your network drive to the default location on your 40 gig. Afterward, move the files copied onto the default path to the path of your choice on the 160 gig. Then, delete the original files from the default path BUT DO NOT DELETE THEM FROM THE RECYCLE BIN UNTIL YOU KNOW THIS WILL WORK!! If something goes wrong, the recycle bin has it's unique way of acting as a "back-up". But, you do want to clear the files from the default path so that there is no conflict when trying to work with the new location and updating.

Also, are the network files accessable via FTP? If so, use an FTP program of your choice to attempt what it is you want to do. Those applications oftentimes simplify what might otherwise be an excruciatingly tedious task. Just change the settings of the FTP to transfer the files to and fro the directory you are wanting to work from.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well looks like the cachemov.exe thing worked, took a bit of monkeying around and going into safe mode, but it worked!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.