Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in the research phase of testing the communicator.. but I was under the impression that there were remote help options availabe if either or both the admin and remote user was using the communicator.

Is this true.. does it require both parties have accounts/communicator running?

If so.. When logged in, I dont see remote help options on the communicator contact properties.

I also though such help was availabe via a web interface or even in Office 2007 or Sharepoint.. but I dont see these options either.

Thanks for any tips

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm still in the research phase of testing the communicator.. but I was under the impression that there were remote help options availabe if either or both the admin and remote user was using the communicator.

Is this true.. does it require both parties have accounts/communicator running?

If so.. When logged in, I dont see remote help options on the communicator contact properties.

I also though such help was availabe via a web interface or even in Office 2007 or Sharepoint.. but I dont see these options either.

Thanks for any tips

I'm using Office Communicator 2005 and I was never aware of any remote assistance options. The only thing I know it can do is video conference. I don't think the help file mentions anything about remote assistance either.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using Office Communicator 2005 and I was never aware of any remote assistance options. The only thing I know it can do is video conference. I don't think the help file mentions anything about remote assistance either.
It appears to be there as an option, at least within the communicator on XP Sp2.. perhaps because I have windows Messenger 5.1 installed...

I'll have to try the same option without 5.1 and see if it is there.

I think messenger is not used in Vista... so I'm not sure how one would make it work there?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correction.. in Vista, at least with MSN Messenger 8.0 installed, the option for remote assistance exists.

Presence information on online contacts on a Sharepoint Portal site does appear, if Msn Messenger is also installed.. however there are no options via the web page to ask for remote assistance like I had hoped.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i see

im using XP and no msn installed
Click on User.. then in Actions.. More.. I have ask for remote assistance.

I think it has to be enabled in the ADUC snapin as well (checked off) and possibly via GPO (maybe it is either-or)...

Or it is a combination of these missing settings and no MSN messenger...

I'll confirm on the no msn messenger part very shortly...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Click on User.. then in Actions.. More.. I have ask for remote assistance.

I think it has to be enabled in the ADUC snapin as well (checked off) and possibly via GPO (maybe it is either-or)...

Or it is a combination of these missing settings and no MSN messenger...

I'll confirm on the no msn messenger part very shortly...

yeah i dont see it

probably disabled on our network as we have other tools to use such as LANdesk for remote service

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i dont see it

probably disabled on our network as we have other tools to use such as LANdesk for remote service
I tried removing messenger on the XP machine..

It seemed to magically reappear, despite not being in control panel..

So Office Communicator must install at least 4.7 messenger to make remote assistance work.. best I can see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.