Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I am having problems installing office 97 on my computer. I am not sure if its the cd or my sytem. I insert the CD and up pops the autorun menu. I click on 'install office 97' button but nothing happens? The disk stops spinning also, usually you can hear it working but this one just stops and starts.

I had some problems with my system and had to reformat the hard drive recently. I had office installed previously and there was no problem with the installation. This is driving me nuts, I am not sure what the problem is? :4-dontkno

I am running Win 98 with an AMD K6-2 350 MHz processor with 256 MB of RAM.

Anyone know what might be wrong??

Thanks.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Go to device manager and check if there are any warnings.

You can try uninstalling the CDrom driver and rebooting so the driver is re-installed.

You can try using Windows Explorer to copy files from the CD to a temporary folder to see if the drive can be accessed okay.

Make sure the data cable is securely seated in the sockets.

Also, try borrowing a CD drive from someone and see if another drive works okay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI,

Thanks for the replies.

Everything looks okay in the device manager and I am unable to copy files from the disc to the hard drive because it won't let me- it just freezes up?

What data cable are you referring to, the one connecting the CD Rom drive to the motherboard?

I have installed several other applications off discs and they all installed fine, so not exactly sure what the problem is with this stupid disc.

whosdat,

I was trying to get a tuner tv card I have to work properly, the software was giving me headaches. I eventually tried downloading some third-party software and I think this may have had a virus or something because it wiped out pretty much all the folder in the Program Files directory. So I threw in the towel, so to speak and started over by reformatting the hard drive. Finally got the TV tuner to work, BTW.

I have Zone Alarm, Spybot, and AVG antivirus and everything is up to speed and no problems that I am aware of. I test regularly for viruses and everyday I do a scan for spyware crap.

So, any ideas what is going on here, some sort of security mechanism from Microcrap perhaps??

Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.