Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People,

Windows XP (Home), which came loaded on my new Dell, has always performed screwy (even after a total uninstall/drive reformatting/reinstall.)

Device drivers cause audio apps (& the OS itself) to crash . . . Windows Explorer shuts down unexpectedly . . . numerous other untold minor problems.

The worst thing of all is, "System Restore" has never worked . . . never. Dell doesn't even know the answer to that one.

I have heard that OS's, particularly XP, which are packaged as a partnership deal with various PC mfg.'s (which I've heard referred to as OEM Operating Systems), work crappy.

Is this true?

Are the System Files set up differently? Are they screwed up because they're not of a pure Microsoft OS release? Or, is there no difference in the way they're structured at all.

As a PC audiophile (I do a lot of work with digital audio multutracking/recording apps . . . SONAR, WaveLab, etc.), am I better off with an off-the-shelf version of XP?

Thanks,

mark4man

BTW - If so, what should I be looking for on the box? (i.e., latest release, etc.) Thanks again.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I've never heard that OEM versions of Microsoft products have any issues like this, and I've used lots of them. If your system is "working crappy", and you've reloaded from the recovery disks, I'd suggest looking at the hardware for the faults.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes. This is either a hardware issue or something Dell added to the OS that may be causing the problem, as many major manufacturers customize windows for their products. Otherwise, there should be no noticable difference bwtween an OEM and retail WinXP full version. The mere fact that some manufacturers call it a "restore" disc means that they tweaked and customized Windows.

I run an WinXP Home OEM that I bought from a computer shop. Everything is as it should be with no problems. A few days ago I had some problems with a Norton product I used from the disc, but my Restore feature worked perfectly.

Have you had any reason to disable the restore system at any point? Did you attempt to create a restore point before adding some software, for instance?

This is all another reason I decided to build my PC instead or getting one from a manufacturer-too many problems, and the tech support doesn't have a clue most of the time. Half the time, those "tech support people aren't really techs. Thery are barely above minimum wage flunkies.

One more thing I should warn you about: You can indeed install a retail version of Windows if you wish, but if your PC is under warranty, you may void the warranty by doing so because Dell will not support anything they didn't put into the machine. Now, if it's hardware that you install, many companies will try to tell you that you've voided the warranty, but it's bull.

The reason companies customize Windows for their computers is because they want to tie that customer into continuing to do business with them. Computers are such a commodity now, manufacturers try to do what they can to keep a customer, and this is they path they chose. It's not like the old days!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

I guess I should have realized there was not much difference, if any . . . but was half-way hoping it might be a factor in causing my problem (DA multitracking app & OS crashes.)

I was intending on replacing my primary drive; & loading a boxed version of XP, but I guess I'll only go this route now if I can't get System Restore to work any other way.

Thanks again,

mark4man

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.