Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Fujutsu MHV2040AH 40 GB hard drive for over a year now that crashed a few months ago. Recently, I was able to get valuable files off it before formatting it to NTFS from FAT32. It was working fine until today after trying to listen to my music folder when I got a $Mft copying error. After that, my external hasn't been the same.

When I plug it into my laptop, it shows up as a mass usb storage device and the safely remove hardware icon is present in the icon tray but the drive itself doesn't show up in My Computer or in Disk Management. Also when safely removing it, the drive doesn't show up as FUJUTSU MHV2040AH but as FUNIVSW 0HV240AH.

I have no idea what to do next so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have important files on the external that I really want to re-recover as it were.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I have been down this road several times; the easist way I have found is to remove the hard drive from the external enclosure and then connect it to a computer as an internal slave drive (dont forget to set the master / slave jumper correctly depending on your configuration)

I suggest you set the drives jumpers to slave / then remove the data cable from your cd-rom drive and give it to the hard drive >>>>> you dont have to physically mount the drive into the computer with screws to do this task

you can lay the drive on top of a magazine next to the computer / connect a data cable and a power plug to the drive and then boot the computer

post back with the results >>>>>> copy your data to another drive so you can reformat this drive again and check it with the fujtisu diagnostic utility which can be downloaded for free at their website

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I understood everything that you said up to you suggesting that I remove the data cable from my cd-rom drive and connect it to the hard drive. I'm doing this all with my laptop and I am not going to open it up to do all of this.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
sorry >>>> what I am advising you do needs to be done with a desktop machine :sleep: do you have a friend that will help you with this endeavor ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not at the moment, no. I'm away from home right now so I guess I'll have to do all of this when I get back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.