Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. Recently my aim has been acting up a bit, and i'm not sure whether its a problem with AIM itself, or my internet connection. Nothing had changed as far as settings, connections etc. - but about every 20 minutes to hour or so my AIM signs off, and then on again ... usually it only takes a second or two but its been going on for over a week and i'm getting awfully sick of the windows piano playing when it occurs, as well as my conversations being interrupted.
Has this happened to anyone before? i've turned off my firewall, i've removed then re-installed AIM ... i've switched connections on my router in my apartment but nothing is working. i should mention i have 2 room mates, and neither of them are experiencing this problem. and as far as i can tell i'm not fully losing connection to the internet - but it happens so fast that i have not ruled that out. Hopefully someone can help, thanks!!
-chris

·
Registered
380 Posts
july2nd-

Greetings. I too had this problem. Are you by chance running
AIM 5.9? I had 5.9 and it kept kicking my kids totally off after
chating for about ten to twenty minutes. Did everything under the
sun. Nothing worked. I had to uninstall 5.9 and google a down load
of AIM 5.5. Did that and everything is great.

So- uninstall from add/remove programs- Both AIM and the tool bar. Then delete the AIM folder and AIM Tool bar in C:\Program Files
Then go to the run command and type in %temp% and hit ok.- Delete all those files. Restart the computer and google for a 5.5 download. Install
and you should be good to go.

I suspect it has to do with a conflict with a MS update or something.
My error (when I checked the log) was specific to the ntdll.ll module.
Search for solutions failed miserably. Anyway- good luck and post back
and let us know how it worked.

Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Andy! hopefully everything works out, i'll give it a try as soon as i'm off work. thanks again!
-chris

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
It's possible you have the AIM virus.
Download AIM Fix 1.0

AIM Fix was created to remove all known AIM viruses in one consolidated removal tool. It is designed to end the virus processes, delete the files, and remove registry keys created by the virus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.