Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really could use some help on this one, as it makes NO sense to me. All of a sudden my HP Pavillion won't turn on. When I press the power button, I hear the whirring and buzzing of the CPU and a few lights blink but nothing loads. No BIOS, nothing. In fact, The moniter power button which glows yellow when the CPU is off, but glows green when the CPU is on, stays yellow. Here is the ODD thing. When I hold down the power button to shut it off after nothing has loaded and try it again about 1 out of 10 times it will turn on and boot normally. What could possibly be the problem? It has to be physical, right?

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Yes, it is a hardware problem. Try removing all cards not needed to start the computer. If it still does not start, try reseating the video card.

Are you getting any beeps?

If it still does not start, it is most likely the power supply. I may also be the motherboard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Little more info....

This is a VERY dumbed down machine. No extra cards, only the motherboard (with the media and all that on it) and an ethernet card. The one in ten times it starts it runs perfectly with all equipment working and no errors in Windows or device manager. This fix sounds intriguing ( switches on the motherboard) but makes me alittle nervous. If at all possible, could I get a little more direction on how to do this???

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.