Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting for a friend who's internet is a little bit borked. He can't check his email so he wasn't able to register on this forum. He asked me to post this:

I have a Netgear CG814WG cable modem connected directly to my pc via ethernet, provided by Comcast, my ISP, on WinXP SP2.

The other day I downloaded and installed 2 updated drivers for my Nvidia fx5200xt and my Creative SB Audigy cards. I go about and reboot my machine after installation. When I log back into windows, I find that I cant get any pages to load with Firefox, I conducted a test to see if my internet was still working. Internet Explorer, mIRC, and Ventrilo still connect, though I cant check my email or upload anything with IE. Nor can I connect to Steam, or any game that uses Gamespy's multiplayer stuff, for instance, I loaded up Rome:TW and when I tried to connect to the lobby, the game crashed on me, and so does anything else gamespy affiliated. And I cant even direct IP in civilization 4.

I disable my firewall, antivirus or any sort of program possibly running and try it all again with no success. I tried ending every process running that I could, and still nothing. I then tried rolling back my drivers...still nothing. Even when i set my router to DMZ, I get no change in the situation. I've scanned and cleared any spyware or viruses on my pc. I've rebooted I don't know how many times following all these steps, and when trying to contact my ISP today, the phones are down due to a storm.

I'm fairly clueless about network connections and such, and would appreciate any sort of help available.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi wimpbastard,

hmmmm.....try posting this in the networking section and see if they can help you out more. for your friends problem, tell him/her to open my network places and then click on view network connections, then right click on the following connection and select repair.

let the network repair itself and then afterwards, try opening up your browser again. also tell your friend to scan for any spywares and viruses. good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.