Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on my girlfriend's computer. Both our computers are connected now to a Cable Modem through a plain hub. Our setups are basically the same, but the download speed on my computer is considerably faster. When we hit a bandwidth test site, she rates barely above a 56k and my connection rates nearly a T1. We had DSL prior to this in our old apartment, and it was the same thing. We tried switching NICs, no dice. Tried switching ports on the hub, nothing. Tried switching network cables and still nothing. There's some setting somewhere in her machine that for some reason is drastically cutting her bandwidth...or some setting on mine that is hogging all our bandwidth.

Help!!!

Hers: Win XP Prof, Athlon XP 1800, ECS K7S5A

His: Win XP Prof, Athlon XP 1700, ECS K7S5A

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey,

Hows it goin.

Ok, Now, I want you to go to the internet properties which can be chosen either from "Tools" >Internet Options, Or, From the desktop, Right click IE Icon, And go to Properties. Now, from the top tabs, choose connections. Then go to LAN Settings. Ok, There should be a new window that pops out called "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings. Make sure NOTHING (no boxes) are checked.

Do that, try it out, and let me know how it goes. There could be several possible problems, and several different solutions.

Lates for Now,

Da Tru Masta

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Masta, thanks a lot :} I'm the girlfriend btw... I checked that and no boxes are checked on my machine or on Skaff's. Man this problem is an irritating one.

Sati ~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anybody have any other suggestions, please? This has been going on (to my knowledge) for months and months.

Sati ~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Masta, yes, I have Norton Internet Security that comes with a firewall. Skaff uses it as well...

Sati ~

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome to the board,

Ok I'm curious.

How are you both connected through a single cable connection and a hub?

Is one system running as a proxy? or do you have the cable modem connected to the hubs up-link port?

Also, what type of Hub and what is the distance between the hub and the respective computers ... roughly. (For each)

Has it ever worked right, or was is FUBAR from the start?

and last question :D Are you able to connect to each others system (ie, use shared drives, play games, use printers, etc.) are your computers viewable in Net Neighborhood?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok Sati,

Just thinking it over in my head, But I want you to do another thing very quick, Im not sayin it will fix it, but it will help me with the solution I am thinking of.

Can you disable Norton Internet Security and take it away from the startup system tray. You can do so by going to Start > Run. Type "msconfig"

Than go to the startup Tab, Find Norton Internet Security, and uncheck it.

Restart your computer, go to the throughput / bandwith test website, and tell me whether your throughput has changed at all.

Later.

Da Tru Masta

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The modem is connected to the up-link. It's a Netgear hub about 3 feet away from each computer, under our desk.

Honestly, I can't remember if it ever worked right.... heh

And we can share files and such, but we had to setup another pair of NICs for that and just run a crossover cable between them.

And I'll have her try that stuff when she gets up...thanks all :]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Skaff and Sati--
It sounds like Skaff's box is being used as a proxy of some sort. I gather that from Skaff's last post.

If thats the case, unhook Skaff's computer and see if Sati's will connect at all, if it won't then we know its a proxy/firewalling problem of some sort. Next thing to do is locate Skaff's static IP (I'm assuming) and try that on Sati's computer and see if her speed increases. If its a dynamic IP, then you won't need to use a proxy anyways :) Let the board know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey -

While I'm at work and can't test that, I can tell you this - It's not a static IP. And I know that her computer can access the net fine with my computer off, but I haven't checked at what speeds. I'll test that tonight. Thanks again :]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.