Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now encountered this problem 3 times, once was with IE5.5sr2 running under Windows 98, and the two others with IE6 under Windows XP. Basically, when the user opens their browser and tries to go to any Internet sites (intranet sites appear to be fine, I guess because they're bypassing the proxy) the browser will hang - that is, it will say "Done" on the bottom status bar, but the globe in the upper right will continue animating. I can temporarily resolve the problem by going into Internet Options and changing the proxy server to another name (i.e., from proxy to proxy.domain, or vice versa) then hitting OK, it will work fine until the browser is closed. Once the browser is closed, I have to go back in, swap the proxy names around again, and again it will work until the browser is closed. In the past I have done everything short of reinstalling the whole OS, including applying service packs and upgrading the whole browser version (in the case of the IE5.5 situation) but I have never really resolved this. Any ideas? Microsoft has a tip on their support page describing a similar situation, but I am NOT using automatic configuration, nor do I have that option checked in the client side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Running SFC /SCANNOW and rebooting when finished seems to have resolved the problem on the XP machines but not the 98 one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.