Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing K7MKLE MB and Athlon 1.1 ghz processor, I am getting some very strange behavior from the CD-Roms.

I have tried 2 different drives that work well on other computers.

The drives are recognized fine by the BIOS and in windows

When using a bootable disc (windows installer) the disc is recognized as bootable (press any key to boot..) but will always come up with a corrupted file or missing file error when booting. Also, after getting into windows, I can explore the drive and open any files that are not in folders, but when attempting to open any folder I get errors.

I tried several known good discs and they work fine on other computers.

Thinking that it may be the cable, I tried slaving the drives on the primary with the HD, and got the same results.

I was told that there is a potential dma/pio conflict??

:4-dontkno :4-dontkno Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today, I ran 'The troubleshooter' from floppy and found no errors with the MB, CPU, or memory. Also tested with known good memory no results.

I again tries to install xp on the machine after tearing it down and re-assembling again. It recognized the autoboot quickly, and loaded 14-15 files before finding one 'corrupted'.. I reboot, and the 2nd time it would not boot from the disc :upset: :upset:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems like the whole problem is accessing folders throught the cd-rom. I think that the files that were loaded from the autoboot discs were in the root of the disc, and I got the 'corruption' error when the first file held in a folder was attempted to be accessed. This is also how the drive aced in windows- unable to acces any files in folders..

Seems pretty specific - any Ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.