Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's computer has been acting a little odd and I can't seem to track down the problem and would appreciate any thoughts you have.

I built the computer and installed an ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard. It's been fine for years without any significant problems. It has WinXP Pro SP3 and boots fine, no posting problems. Here's the kicker -- the motherboard beeps at seemingly random times while in WinXP. This beep is definitely coming from the motherboard, not the speakers. It is one solitary beep at random times, sometimes when in use, and often when not in use. My wife claims that the computer is more sluggish than in the past, although she isn't the best diagnostician of when things are less than optimal computer-wise. I've checked the memory, the onboard fans (including CPU), checked for virus' (McAfee) and looked online to see that a solitary beep typically occurs when the computer refuses to POST (relating to a memory problem). The computer POSTs fine and I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Fuzzylogik

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used memtest. And unfortunately I don't have another set of RAM chips around to test it with.

Oh, one thing I checked that I forgot to mention -- there's no posting in the Event Viewer that corresponds with the beeps.

Now I think that's everything!

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OS- XP SP3 Fully patched
MB - Asus P5LD2 Deluxe
CPU - Pentium D 3.0
Video - GeForce 7900 GT (no significant graphics requirements on computer)
RAM - 2 GB OCZ Gold
Power - Antec Neo 550
No Brand - built myself
Temperature - CPU 121F/50C; MB 107.5F/42C
Volt -VCORE Voltage - 1.304 - 1.3012 (varied in real time)
3.3V - 3.280V
5V - 5.017 - 5.04
12V - 12.038 - 12.091

I think that's everything. Suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm all about trying something, but I've been building computers since cards had manual switches on them long before PnP. While I certainly know that blowing the computer out can help with circulation, I've never heard of it causing beeps. And the temperature doesn't seem very high to me (as you can tell, this computer is not OC'd). I don't mind repasting the CPU but if the temp isn't all that high I'm not sure I see where that might play a factor. Could you help me with your thought process? Thanks.

Fuzzylogik

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
the odd intermittent beeps could be when it just reaches the upper tempreture limit and drops back
the warning setting may be set to low in the bios

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.