Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently installed Oblivion on my P4 2Ghz, 1GB ram with a Leadtek Winfast A7600gs. The game runs smoothly and without any crashes, but the graphic is obviously wrong (screenshot below). Does anyone have any suggestions as how to fix it?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
That's called "artifacting" and is not a happy thing. Often the culprits are an unsufficient PSU, overheating of the GPU/VPU, damage to the actual VPU/GPU, and damaged VRAM.

To begin a diagnosis we'll begin by finding out of your video card is passively (no fan) or actively (fan) cooled. Passive cooling systems work best with a PC that has excellent internal cooling. Active helps out when internal cooling isn't enough or if outside factors prevent that. Open the case and have a small fan blow into it and over the card. If the artifacts vanish then heat was the culprit. If that does not work we'll turn to looking at the PSU installed in your system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the problem is that my PSU is too small (250W) so I am going to go buy a new one tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I just installed a new power supply (350W), but the problem is still there

Besides the problem still being present, sometimes the game just crashes to the desktop all together as a result of an error in oblivion.exe

Further, after it crashes I cannot start the game again, the monitor just "clicks" a few times after turning black, and it returns to the desktop. Seems like some graphics thing crashes. Besides not being able to start Oblivion, the game Morrowind cannot be started either. It says "Render Creation Error" in an error box. I made a small screenshot....well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.