Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, leave it to the common idiot to ask a question like this...

i have read around about connecting extrenal devices to the LTP1 port (printer port) such as light switches, locks, and things to control home security and the like.

i have also read about connecting sensors and switches, to allow the pc to pay attention to things like whether or not it is dark, or if a door is open.

i have also heard that people can attach temp sending units, and pressure sending units, and get a real time display of the values.

now, if i could get my stupid laptop to do this, (in a dos mode i assume, which would work fine cos my laptop has win 3.1 on it) i would be able to connect an O2 sensor from a car. this would allow me to stuff the sensor into the exhuast pipe on a vehicle, and adjust the fuel settings on the carb. this would allow me to alot of extra work on cars, and in turn i would earn more money.

if anyone has experience connecting switches, sensors, and sending units to an LTP1 port, perhaps you could help me.

i wish to connect a pair of O2 sensors, a tachometer lead, a volt sensing lead, possibly a pressure sending unit or two.

i can express to you the typical ohm range of the O2 sensor, but i would need to check some statistic charts first.

if it helps any, i do have experience doing this exact thing to a commadore, appleII, and timex sinclair. but the pc seems to be giving me troubles.

if you can help i would appreciate it, and i expect alot of people to say i am crazy. (so lets hear it, i'm crazy)

thanks in advance for help with this stupid question.
~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
It's not that difficult to interface hardware to the PC, I'd suggest that you do a Google search on analog data capture, you'll turn up a ton of boards that will allow you to do this. Of course, you're going to be doing some programming to use them. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.