Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a week or two my pc started crashing seemingly randomly. A few times, Windows XP came with its own report, stating that the problem was with the NVidia card. I can't really remember that I did something special the last few weeks, but it's getting really serious now. A few minutes ago the screen suddenly went to black/white blocks, completely frozen. Sometimes when I try to reboot, it hangs immediately giving only about four bleeps. Only thing left to do is turning it off again (reset doesn't work then).

And then, after resetting about four times, it starts working properly.

I updated the video-driver yesterday, hoping it would solve the problem, it didn't.

I attached my DxDiag of today. Hope anybody can figure out what the hell is going on :4-dontkno

Attachments

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Generating black/white blocks on the screen is usually a sign of a bad GPU (graphics processing unit) so the most likely cause of your problems is a dying video card. They don't last forever and your TI 4200 is getting pretty old. The best way to be sure is to try the video card out in another machine and see if the problem keeps happening. Another thing you can try is opening up your case and arranging for a desk fan to blow directly on the video card. If the fan reduces your crashes then your card is overheating or just getting old. You can also try underclocking the video card to see if the problems disappear (instructions here). If either the desk fan or underclocking reduce your crashes then you have some kind of hardware problem.

Your problem is probably the video card but another hardware problem which can cause your symptoms is a dying power supply. Unfortunately the only way to be sure is to swap in another power supply to see if the problems disappear. You can check the voltages to see if any of them are way off as explained here.

The only thing in your DXDiag which is out of date is your motherboard AGP driver although it's probably not causing your problems. You can update it anyway just to make sure you have the latest drivers. Assuming you have this Gigabyte motherboard (version 1, 2, or 3) then you can update your motherboard chipset drivers by installing the VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers (instructions here).

Assuming you have the motherboard linked above then you have an AMI BIOS. Four beeps from an AMI BIOS means "Motherboard timer not operational" but sometimes it also happens for RAM problems. Eight beeps is the error code for video card problems. Your problem sounds like the video card but just to be safe I'd run MemTest86 to make sure your RAM is okay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.