Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my new card from Asus exchanged under warranty. So first I went to the Asus website and got the latest drivers: 71.89

All then seems fine until my system is shut down overnight, and when I turn it on today, I get the wondeful Windows XP Pro blue screen with an error with the file NV4.Disp.dll

So I then proceed to GeForce FX 5200 tab under display properties, and select to launch the driver update. This then goes to the NVIDIA website and shows me the latest driver being 78.01

I'm hoping this addresses the blue screen problem and all works fine, this remains to be seen.

So what the heck??? Why doesn't Asus show this driver? Also, why am I all of a sudden getting these blue screens when launching Windows XP Pro?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, with driver 78.01, when booting my system, I get the NV4.Disp error with it also. I have to reboot my system like 3 times before Windows XP Pro SP2 finally loads...

What the heck is going on here??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. For now I will go with the original driver that came with the card backn in 2003. Version 43.45 to see if this problem can be avoided.

I did a search for this freakin' nv4_disp.dll and I now have 3 plus the installed ones since I have tried 3 driver versions:

I'm hoping that using the old 2003 drivers helps, but this is ridiculous as I should be able to run the latest drivers.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
in add and remove,uninstall the driver
reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode
when windows finishes booting
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer
go into the device manger and click on the card to bring up the properties
when you try to roll back the driver,it should not be able to roll back the only driver should be the one that you just installed

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dai said:
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer
when you try to roll back the driver,it should not be able to roll back the only driver should be the one that you just installed
OK thanks for the tip, I didn't disable my a/virus softwre when trying the various drivers, I will do so and posts the results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SBC31 said:
OK thanks for the tip, I didn't disable my a/virus softwre when trying the various drivers, I will do so and posts the results.
Well I tried installing the latest Asus drivers following these steps:

disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer

And the problem is still there...:(

Considering the card is new from Asus (warranty work) this is really ticking me off. Having to reboot my system twice to get it to run is not fun.

I guess I will have to try using the original drivers that came with the card next.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
i am using asus71.89 and they are stable
in the device manager uninstall the card
then reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode and install the same as before

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well 71.89 gave me the same problem so 66.93 will be my next attempt. Why does Asus/Nvidia release these drivers with problems???

Will post on how things go with 66.93

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Man oh man, same issue with 66.93

I wonder if this is due to using DirextX 9.0c

Before I got the new card I did upgrade to Windows XP Pro with SP2 so this could also be the reason for this problem.

I'm so confused.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dai said:
did you uninstall the card and start from scratch and reinstall from vga mode
I did. Note that after 2-3 attempts I can then get windows to launch. So I removed the drivers using Add/Remove. I also then disable Norton AV. I reboot in VGA mode, and then install the drivers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dai said:
what brand and size of p/supply are you running
I got the system built back in September 2003 by a friend who has since moved to another country. Looking at my receipt it came with the case and is:

Antec Solution Series SLK1600 Mid Tower Case:

300W SmartPower ATX12V power supply
- for AMD & Intel systems
- SmartPower runs cooler and quieter

Click to see case

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dai said:
i use a antec 550w tru power your 300w seems a little on the light side
Well the system ran like a charm for 2 years until recently when my video card got flaky thus got it replaced under warranty. And my HD died and I replaced it with a Seagate.

The friend that built the PC is a wiz at this and has built 100's of systems for people so I suspect he knows his reasoning for the power supply he selected.

Now do you think the power supply could be the cause of this nv4_disp infinite loop error when boothing my machine? If I changed the power supply, would it be something easy to do or do I need a new case and all?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, I'm no expert with building these things, but as a software tester for 10+ years now, I would conside myself to be indermediate at knowing my way around a computer.

BTW, in another forum, I was told to use Driver Cleaner Pro after removing the NVIDIA drivers and before installing the new ones. Is this something you would recommend?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
it is worth a try
you can check your power requirements here
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
based on a quality supply and add 30% to the result
if it needs to be changed before buying one see if you can borrow one to check with first
they are simple to change just 4 screws at the back and remove the power leads no need for a new case

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dai said:
it is worth a try
you can check your power requirements here
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
based on a quality supply and add 30% to the result
if it needs to be changed before buying one see if you can borrow one to check with first
they are simple to change just 4 screws at the back and remove the power leads no need for a new case
Interesting, thanks for the link. I'm thinking I should remove my DVD/CDRW combo drive since I have sinced purchased a DVD-RW thus could remove 25-30 watts. Especially since I only need one of those really.

Any recommendation on what power supply to get given my system: http://www.techsupportforum.com/member.php?userid=75832

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
i would recommend the same as i am using antec tru power 550w i also have the same video card and it has always been a pain getting the drivers installed ok at the moment i am just running the card i have not installed the video security ect.
leave your drives connected they are handy and don't use much power

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone ever hear of nv4loopfix? I really don't know what else to make of this problem and currently cannot change my power supply.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I turned down my hardware acceleration to None for my video card so I can boot up my PC on the first attempt. This is just ticking me off given the card is new (or re-furbished) from Asus.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.