Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I purchased a Nvidia GeForce4 XM 420 for my crappy old celeron 466. Now, after I have the card plugged in, my system does not reconize the card is there, and boots to the onboard device.

I previously had a voodoo 3 PCI card installed that worked fine. My BIOS is set to check PCI as the primary display device, but is skipping over the new card.

My question is.. Does GeForce 4 work with a celeron?

Thanks in advance, Ryan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Howdy

Im certanly not a tech buttt

>>>My question is.. Does GeForce 4 work with a celeron?<<
Theirs no reason it woudnt work w/ celeron

>>>>Today I purchased a Nvidia GeForce4 XM 420 for my crappy old celeron 466. Now, after I have the card plugged in, my system does not reconize the card is there, and boots to the onboard device.<<<<

Was the old card factory installed?
Boots to what onboard chipset or old card--you know there usualy is a disable onboard in bios.

Lon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have disabled the onboard AGP card from booting, but it will still boot if no video card is detected in the PCI slot.

With my previous card in the PCI slot ( voodoo 3 ) the computer boots up the voodoo 3.

Uninstalling the voodoo 3 and sticking in the GF4 results in the computer booting to the onboard AGP card again, since its not detecting the GF4 in the PCI slot.

The GF4 manuel says Pentium I, II or AMD processessors.. But I have never heard of this happening before.. Maybe something to do with bus speeds?

Ryan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi

your confusing me

>>>I have disabled the onboard AGP card from booting, but it will still boot if no video card is detected in the PCI slot.<<<
Why do you mention agp -if your bios has this option to disable onboard agp then it will should also have disable onboard pci.

you didnt mention what brand (is it a hp by chance)

Did you from safe mode device manager -uncheck all pci adapters
before trying to install new card -the reason for this is couse safe mode will show all adapters /even inactive ones. ?
And follow the old cards instructions for uninstall

Get back to your ? ive got a celleron 733 and have had no problems useing any programs rated for pentium 4's--Dont think thats the problem..
must be a bummer right before xmas

Lon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright..

Celeron 466, Windows XP Pro.

Originally, I had set the BIOS to boot up my PCI slot video card instead of my onboard AGP video card that sucks.

The video card that was in there, is a Voodoo 3.

I remove the voodoo 3, as per instructions, and install the new PCI GeForce4.

My computer beeps once, then boots up not from the PCI video, but from the disabled AGP onboard video. ( Because it is not detecting anything in the PCI slot )

There is no inactive adapter. The computer is just not seeing the card is even plugged in. I cant install drivers, because there is no device there that the computer reconizes..

Ryan

·
Registered
53 Posts
You wont know if you have inactive adapter drivers unless you use safe mode then look in device manager or through directx diagnostics .your not responding to my questions in a way i can understand..what has agp anything got to do with a system that has only pci slots? Im just trying to help dont be offended if i cover the basics or if you already now or have tried something i suggest.

You have to( i think)
fallow the originall cards instructions for uninstall.?
Before rebooting install the new cards sofware shut down put new card in boot in bios disable the pci onboard and let windows detect new hardware

>>>There is no inactive adapter. The computer is just not seeing the card is even plugged in. I cant install drivers, because there is no device there that the computer reconizes..<<<
Did you do the safe mode thing?

This sounds like you got ahead of yourself and tried to plug in the card before installing its software.

Ive got a new card but cant install till xmas since its a gift.
ati readon 64mb 7500
Lon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, first I will explain something... Most systems ( like my powerspec here ) that have onboard video, are in fact onboard AGP cards that are tied into the Northbirdge, thus running on the higher bus speed of the northbridge. The problem with these systems, is that there is no actual AGP "port" to upgrade with an AGP card, so we must settle for PCI cards..

Earlier, I had disabled my AGP video ( a settle in intergrated peripherials on my BIOS ) and enable the PCI voodoo 3 I had installed. When I boot up, it picks up on the voodoo 3 being there. ( Even without drivers installed, the system will load a default VGA display adapter until I load my software, like with any windows periferal. )

Now.. I have uninstalled my previous voodoo 3 drivers, and shut down the system. I then install my GeForce 4 into the PCI slot, as per the instructions, and boot...

.. But wait, there is a beep, and my monitor does not turn on. I switch my monitor plug to my onboard video plug, and it is now using the sis620 onboard AGP again.. ( which is the exact same effect I get if there is no PCI card installed.. Display has to go somewhere. )

So I check my BIOS settings, and they are set to boot PCI display as they should be.. But its not booting it. Its beeping when I start the system, then booting the onboard video card.. Why?

Because its not detecting the PCI GeForce4 I have in there.

According to the instructions, it should pick it up and load the standard VGA graphics adapter, just like any other video card. Then I should proceed to install the correct driver.

I cannot install the driver, because the system is not picking up the GeForce as being plugged in. Tomorrow I am going to test the card in another system, but im pretty sure the card is fine.

A friend had this similar problem when he tried to plug a 32 MB GeForce into a celeron.. It wouldn't detect the card.

Im guessing that celerons cant run a GeForce4? Maybe it has something to do with the bus speed.. I don't know. All I know, is that my system is not locating the device at all, instead it is defaulting back to its original video port to display the system.

Ryan

·
Registered
53 Posts
yes now im seeing you
All i can sugest is that you need to set the onboard or original vid card to its standard vga through windows driver update wizird
before trying to disable in all hardware profiles in device manager

In other words if not disabled correctly it will keep(windows) defaulting back to the last none good vid setup.
If theirs any issues with the mix of celleron & card that wood be listed at their website? for sure , could just be a power issue

Good luck

Lon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah power, that very well could be the problem. I just checked my system, and its running an old 90 watts power supply. Now the GeForce 4 says minimum power of 250 watts.. So that could definately be the problem.

I'll have to go out and grab a 300 watt power supply I suppose...

Ryan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep that sounds like the culprite( incorrect spelling)
But usualy when it's a power issue they'l work for awile and stop or most graphics will be corrupted.

I suppose youve thought to disable and take out any other pci devices, for more power ie network adapter or sound card
Atleast till you do get the new power box.

Lon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nvidia Ge 4 does work with Celeron

Hi, I have had problems with the card you speak of.
The best thing I can tell you is to :
Boot your PC in safe mode and go to device manager, once there go to display adapters and right click on the on-board adapter, select disable from the menu and then reboot back into safe mode and install the Nvidia drivers again even if you have done so already. Now shutdown. unplug your PC and move your Nvidia card to a different slot. You can plug the monitor cable to your vid card now. Boot back into safe mode...is this fun or what!! Now windows should detect new hardware, a lovely wizard will prompt you to install the drivers again, go ahead it wont hurt anything.
after the wizard is complete reboot as normal and your done. By the way a wizard will most likely want you to install the drivers again this is NOT necissary.
I hope this helps you, good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.