Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ne1 else having trouble with the new nvidia drivers? My previous drivers were 71.89 but I got the new 78.01 for my geforce 6600 because one of my games insisted i get the latest drivers to work properly. I went to manufacturers site to get them and stuff. Now my computer crashes alot and my card is using too much resources(CPU). All my media players are screwed, is this because i also need a good dvd decoder that doesn't come with card drivers? It also now says i need sms bus controller software but i see that doesn't really matter.
So im thinking il stick to the old drivers, nice waste of time :/
Can this be fixed or what? Or should i just stick to what works?

winxp pro
directx 9.0c

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I uninstalled 78.01 and installed 81.26 - the link you gave. Now it says i need sms and vga software somethingrather ><
The game did work better with the new ones but it left my comp unable to play video media. BTW on installation on 78.01 and 81.26 it says they havn't passed windows testing stuff. but it installs it anyway even if u say "stop installation".funny that. !?! i've re-installed 71.89 for the meantime because video can play with those ones.
Any idea why this would happen anyway?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
for the sm controller reinstall your chipset software from the m/b setup disk
when installing nvidia drivers
uninstall the drivers reboot tapping f8
choose vga mode
disable a/virus
install the drivers
reboot the computer
when the game says use the latest drivers,you may find that the latest driver when the game came out is a number of versions older than is what is currently available and an earlier version may work better than the latest released version
try the omeaga drivers and see if they work better
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

·
Registered
2 Posts
GeForce 6600GT driver an Video playback

boogah said:
Ne1 else having trouble with the new nvidia drivers? My previous drivers were 71.89 but I got the new 78.01 for my geforce 6600 because one of my games insisted i get the latest drivers to work properly. I went to manufacturers site to get them and stuff. Now my computer crashes alot and my card is using too much resources(CPU). All my media players are screwed, is this because i also need a good dvd decoder that doesn't come with card drivers? It also now says i need sms bus controller software but i see that doesn't really matter.
So im thinking il stick to the old drivers, nice waste of time :/
Can this be fixed or what? Or should i just stick to what works?

winxp pro
directx 9.0c
I'm having the same exact problem. Its been going on now for a while.
I have the GeForece 6600GT and any official Nvidia driver I have tried cannot do Video playback., i.e., Winamp, WIn Media player, Real PLayer, it doesn't matter...same deal...
Any attempts to use any of these software causes My PC to freeze then reboot....My new Battlefield 2 requires drivers later than 77.xx..Any drivers later than this works fine with BF2. However, playing any music videos or movies results in a complete shut down...I have found only one driver so far that works with my Videos, and that is Forceware 70.80 from NGOHQ.com. Unfortunately, I cannot use this driver in BF2..
After some troubleshooting, I found that if I disable Direct 3D and Direct draw with newer Official drivers, the videos play fine, but after this, I cannot play any games...I'm stuck and need help.
I have reinstalled windows, dowloaded latest chipset Bios, Removed all previous drivers and reinstalled, updated all OS files...Nothing works..PLease help? Thanks

Troy

WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X Deluxe v.2.0..Latest official Bios..1008
Geforce 6600GT 128 AGP
1GB DDR 2700
AMD 2800 Barton
2 x 200GB Western Digital HDD
500 Watt Antec Power supply

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.