Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post here and I'm having a terrible, frustrating problem.

It all started about 6 months ago with issues trying to get to my mother's hotmail account. Every time she logged in, she would get the "Page cannot be displayed" message. I deleted all the cookies and cleared the temporary internet files and still no change. I ran all sorts of virus scanners (McAlfee, Norton Antivirus, Ad-Aware, Trojan Hunter, Spyware Blaster, CC-Cleaner) and still no results.

So, we just stopped using Hotmail and switched to Yahoo! Mail. Everything was alright until about a week ago when Yahoo! got the same message: "This Page Cannot Be Displayed". Oooh-kay. Now the whole family is screwed.

It's spread to much more than just E-Mail. I can't search shopping websites (Ex: Target.com, EBay), I can't apply for jobs online (Borders.com, Monster.com), and anything involving a log-in sequence is pretty much a "Page that cannot be displayed".

I'm at my wits end and I could really appreciate any help. Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now, this may be a very "Noobish" question, but...

If I'm able to download Firefox and give it a try, is there a way to transition back to IE if it doesn't work?

I've heard from friends that Firefox is MUCH better, but my dad's a very "old fashioned" kind of guy when it comes to the internet and computers in general. The internet consists of 3 things for him, clicking the IE button on the desktop, using the Yahoo search engines, and E-Mail. When he lost one of those abilities, he went ballistic. I just don't want to screw around and not be able to get back to the current scenario without him noticing... I hope that makes sense.

Thank you so much for replying.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Firefox is a alternate browser, the only thing you cannot does is MS Updates and work with sites that require Active X.

If you install Firefox, you will not be deleting IE. You will get a message to ask if you want it to be your default broswer, you can choose no and still use Firefox.

You need to determine if the problem is with software on the machine or the ISP/Internet connection.

Does this machine have Norton?

Who is your ISP and where are you located?

Do you know how to ping and run route traces?

JamesO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.