Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody. I have this issue of nntoskrnl.exe at the boot up, the "ntoskrnl.exe could not be found; is corrupt please reinstall again". I got this 2 days ago. I had called HP last week, to order my reinstallation cds for windows xp because i had got virut, a virus that can only be fixed by reinstalling windows completely. So I ordered the CDs, and I got them today. With the ntoskrnl.exe problem already, I had read that this may because I needed a new keyboard, so I went to walmart and bought a USB keyboard, since my previous one was not a USB keyboard, and to my surprise, it didn't work. The problem that this ntoskrnl.exe thing brings me is that it does not let me use the keyboard, completely. The little light bulbs wont turn on either, nothing works, it is completely unsable, therefore I'm unable to do a system restore or start in safe mode. What should I do? Please I need help, I'm really worried, and my familiy needs to use the computer sometimes, so I need a remedy for my problem asap. typing from PS3

·
Registered
171 Posts
Serial keyboards (Round connectors) work better than USB ones. They've been around longer and usually don't require any special drivers to work. You could try purchasing a USB to serial converter. They look like tiny stubs with a female USB port in one end and a male serial port on the other, although I'm not fully sure this will fix your problem.

If the only way to get rid of the virus is a complete reinstall, obviously you need to completely reinstall your OS. Back up any data you can (Try booting from a Linux live CD. Ask a friend to burn one if you only have one computer.) and just start fresh.

It might also be possible to replace the infected ntoskrnl.exe file with the one on the disk using the recovery console, although I'm not sure how to do that.

Does anyone else here have any other ideas? I vaguely remember something about this virus and how to get rid of it another way but it's just not clicking in my mind for some reason...

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
It may well be that the USB keyboard has to be enabled in your Bios.

Read your manual or check with HP on how to get in there and what to look for. Or, if those approaches won't work, provide the necessary details about your computer (model and version).

·
Security Team , Visiting Trainee (247)
1,070 Posts
Hi, another thing you can do is manually replace the file using the XP cd.

Put the XP cd, make sure it is booting first, if not check BIOS
then when it starts, press r for repair
in there choose your operating system by usually pressing one then enter

then type

expand D:\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe_ C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
press y to over write. Now restart the system. Make sure that only the keyboard, power cable, monitor is connected. Try removing the mouse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
unless this can be done without a keyboard, I don't see how I'll be able to do some of this stuff, and the Windows XP CD I do not have, I only have 11 discs that are for complete reinstall, and they work, but I am needed to press "F" or some other letter I don't recall at the moment in order to continue the installation, which my keyboard in no way or form responds to any of my commands.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The serial keyboard is detected before the OS starts, so if it becomes disabled that will be later. Since its an HP machine, when it begins to boot hold down f11. This should start the HP recovery process. If that works just let it! Your system will be usable after that, tho some of your apps will require re-install and there may be viral traces in some files (scan everything). This is better than using the 11 disks you just got because it represents complete factory settings for that exact box, including any bundled software. I can't guarantee that the HP Recovery tool was installed on your machine (depends on age), but that should be your first try.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, another thing you can do is manually replace the file using the XP cd.

Put the XP cd, make sure it is booting first, if not check BIOS
then when it starts, press r for repair
in there choose your operating system by usually pressing one then enter

then type

expand D:\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe_ C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
press y to over write. Now restart the system. Make sure that only the keyboard, power cable, monitor is connected. Try removing the mouse.
it automatically takes me to the recovery process though after i press r

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry for posting so late, but i finally found the problem, i just had to disconnect everything that is usb related, such as keyboard and mouse, speakers, and only use them when necessary during the installation, reinstall xp, and it worked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.