Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer was slowing down so I ran Adawre and it picked up 25 high risk Malware, whilst cleaning it it told me I have to reboot in order to complete the process of removing the malware. When I rebooted this message came up in the DOS screen
"NTLDR is missing,press any key
then when I hit enter this 2nd message came up
Disk Boot failure, insert System Disk + Press Enter
WHen I put in my Win XP Pro, and reached Recovery and selcted option 1 and then the screen just went into the DOS prompt, I then typed "FIXMBR" and in less than second
it said New boot sector was successfully written,
But when I rebooted I keep getting NTDRL is missing press any key, then DISK BOOT FAILURE, insert SYSTEM DISK, I went Iput back the XP CD and it go to the Recovery section it just goes back on the C: prompt, when I type DIr, it says the volume has no label Serial 000-0000
Directory of C:\
No Matching files found
When I try to change the dir to C:\iwindows or any other directory I had it says the system cannot the sprecified file ot directory specified.
I then remove the drive and hooked it directly to the mothrboard of another PC and when that PC booted from its original drive it recognised my drive as E:\ clicked on it in FIle Propertys it said Used space 0 Bytes free space 10Mb
I then ran a program called ****** DAta Recovery Wizard and it recognised the drive as as stated it was (FAT12), it checked the correct size and was able to show the contents of the Drive and I was able to transfer aot of Data to the other PC C:\drive to save.
But still whe I put my drive back into my own PC, it keeps giving that NTDRL missing and when I reach as far as the Windows recovery it just goes back to the C: prompt (even when I selct 1.
I have alot of inportant programs and stuff on this drive and would prefer not to format it or erase everything.
Please tell me how I can get Windows to start back up again.
Thanks in advance :4-dontkno

T

·
0 Posts
Hi <insert name here> and welcome to TSF :wave:

It has come to my attention that your computer is missing the all important boot up file called Ntldr. This file is crucial for the startup of any Windows computer. Here are some things to check first before we move on to a fix for your issue:

• Make sure that there are NO Floppy Disks, CD's, or External Drives connected to the computer.

Windows XP Users Fix

• Insert the Windows XP Bootable CD into the computer.
  • When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press Any key.
  • Once in the Windows XP Setup Menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
  • Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
  • You will then be prompted for your Administrator Password, enter that password.
  • Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In my below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
Once the two files are both copied over Successfully you may then restart your computer as it should be fixed.

Corrupted boot.ini File (Step 2 Fix)

Edit the boot.ini on the root directory of the hard disk drive and verify that it is pointing to the correct location of your Windows Operating System and that the partitions are properly defined. Here is a common boot.ini non-dual boot example:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP <Your OS (eg. Professional, Media Center Edition or Home Edition)> /fastdetect

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks 4 the prompt response
OK I did what you said but got the following results:-

When I type "FIXMBR" I got
The Masterboot record has been successfully written

When I typed "FIXBOOT" I got
New Boot Sector was successfully written

When I typed "bootcfg /rebuild" I got : -
Failed to successfully scandisk for Windows installaion, this error can be sometimes caused by a corrupt file system, which could prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.
This operation must complete successfully in order for /add or /rebuild command to be utilized.

I try following the instructions and typed chkdsk /r again and got:-
The Volume appears to contain one or more irrecoverably problems.

then I get C: prompt again.

Also I dont have any floppys in the A: drive (Ive never used that drive before)
and my Hardrive is an SATA drive, when I reached the Recovery console I only get 2 repair or exit and either choice 1 or enter brings me back to the C: prompt (I dont get Admin passwrd or anything like that)
I try to boot again and the same NTLDR meesage starts all over again
What can I do now??:4-dontkno

Alantrini

T

·
0 Posts
Oh god wrong one I am sorry I am working with multiple people at the same time :grin:

T

·
0 Posts
We could go through extra commands and fixes but we would really be getting into some hard stuff. Plus it would be very long and this forum works towards quick fixes. Here are some questions:

Is your computer a desktop or laptop?
What type of drive do you have (SATA or IDE)?
Do you own 2 desktop computers?
Do you own an external HD enclosure?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DESKTOP, WD 300Gb SATA HDRIVE, mY nEIGBOR IS GETTING FED UP OF ME USING HIS pc AND OPENING IT UP WITHOUT HIS KNOWLEDGE, YES I HAVE A HD ENCLOSURE
SEDND ME AN EMAIL I CAN TAKE THE TECHNICAL QUESTIONS I BUILT THIS PC by reading a Book in a Day.
PLEASE! PLEASE !
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME IM DESPERATE, FEELING TO THROW MYSELF AND THIS WHOLE SYSTEM OUT THE WINDOW AND BUY NEW ONE

T

·
0 Posts
Okay if you have a SATA Drive Enclosure, I would like you to remove the drive and put it in the enclosure. I want you to connect the drive to a working computer through the USB Cable. Back up all of your data that pertains to anything you want. Then reconnect your drive into your computer and format the drive with the new installation of Windows. This should fix your issue :grin:.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just a quick question have you overclocked your system?

If not I would open your case...And take out the little silver battery that is in there..for 30 seconds and put it back in (of course with the computer off and unplugged) as NTDLR errors happen so much to me that is all I have to do to clear them up..But I overclock allot and also make sure your first boot is your hard drive and not your dvd or cd rom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I already tried that renoving theBattery to flash the BIOS
No I never Overclocked no need to it an AMD 64 bit 3400, with 2Gb bytes of RAM, I have enough speed as ever, there arent much games or CPU intentive programs , Just Basic Like MS Offcie, Autocad, Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, Carrara, Tutorial Videos, MAYA, MS Project, MS Access, and a few other Programs
I think it cud have been that Bios that cobtribulted to this failure
I went into it and when I went into the Hard drive to detect itit, and press enter , I got a Flashing red screen and when I rebooted I started getting the NTLLDR error, with the Adaware it was some password issure (Which I never had) casue I never ha a password, so I know it was malware that did this.
Aslo it cant read the drive from the USB port I tried that also, it just recognises it as Drive E:\ in explorere and when you click on it , it ask you if you want to format it.
The Only programI was able to see all the Files with was Easus Data Recovery Wizard it saw all the files and I ws able to retrieve just about all intact, for the exectption of a Boot.ini Bootex.lg files, the NTLDR files and Ndetect.com files were also on the C;\ root (They are not missing)
Thi is what I did previously

I Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
I chose option: Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.

Prompt.....C:\ appears
I Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "D". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy D:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Then I get this message
Thevolume does not contain a recognised fil system. Please mak sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and thatthe Volume is not corrupted
0 Files copied

Then I type Chkdsk C:\
and I get this message
The type of File system is RAW
Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives

Prior to this I did fun fixmbr and fixboot and that is when all the trouble started
Bill Gates should be hung upsided down from the Empire State Bldg by his toes for producing a command and a vulnerable OS like windows
I hate Windows if its NOT one PROBLEM its ALOT

·
Registered
696 Posts
Aww I see yur problem...

Raw means somehow your hard drive got wiped clean...And chkdsk will not read a raw disk..

But if you got it all back together see if you can reinstall Windows now

You will need to let it go through its regular phases as your whole hard drive is erased now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That doesnt make any sense, How is ****** DataRecovery seeing all the Files there? If my HDrive is erase clean?
I so fustrated, I have my files but as for my Programs like MAYA, my friends had lentme there installation CDs
And some of them are no longer in my city
After 62 years here on this earth and experincing so much Im ready to expire.
The worst thing I ever got into was a Computers.
I rememebr when computers where big as wallclocks and used reels and blew many fuses
I rememebr my first Commodore 64 was the first (PC) I had and I rememebr when Windows 1.0 came out and DOS and I cud go on and on..........ALL windows OS have problems.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ok can you explain what happened to me like I did not read anything yet.. I promise I will get you your files back

Then I type Chkdsk C:\
and I get this message
The type of File system is RAW
Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives
RAW refers to an unformatted drive, or an unpartitioned drive.

I just noticed you tried chkdsk C:\ but not the chkdsk /r

But I can still help you get your files nice and safe

T

·
0 Posts
I am sorry I did not come back, I have been very busy laterly, but as it seems geek73 from the Hardware Team has taken over so I will allow ownership of this case to him. :smile:

T

·
0 Posts
If this is your choice we will go ahead and format your drive but are you sure you would like to lose your data, I am still sure that he can help you recover your data?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.