Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

I am hitting some snag w/our hardware and software, and was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing input/experience if you have ever come across this issue:

Our computer (HP Pavilion a1640n) was not starting a couple weeks ago. It would get past the BIOS screen and then nothing. I decided to perform a system recovery by partition as I have done several times in the past. This time however, there were problems performing a system recovery. At about 90% of the recovery, I get a million error messages that say "error cannot copy file H:\\windows\SMINST\etc." When I get through the error messages by pressing "retry" copying, and end the system recovery by partition after a million error messages, I get a screen that says NTLDR is missing, press ctr alt del to restart

I was told this was either a problem with the hardware or software. Assuming the latter I ordered new system recovery disks from HP. After loading the disks, and changing the boot device priority, I get an error message that says "disk boot failure," press ctr alt del

Thus, I figured this issue is with the hardware. I bought a new SATA hard drive from Best Buy and took out the old one and put the new one in its place. Now I get the error message "Disk boot failure" press ctr alt del to restart

I tried removing the battery to reset the BIOS. I still get the same error message. Please help-I could really use any input!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
enter Bios again and verify on the harddisk screen that SATA is disabled or switch to ide drive. then try reloading with the recovery disk and report back results...

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah and you can copy the NTLDR from the cd to the drive to if you need to .
I had that problem a while ago.
I will see if I can find the exact directions for what i did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, the hard drive is detected in BIOS under the 1st drive. The CD ROM is listed under the second drive. I have tried loading from both the CD and HDD from the boot menu, and no luck: I still get the error message "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

I try loading the "System Recovery Disk 1:2" mailed from HP. I also have the System Recovery Disk 2:2 and a disk for loading the media center. The PC looks like it really wants to read the CD for a minute, but I inevitably end up with "disk boot failure" message.

Once again my operating system is Windows XP/Vista ready, and the hard drive I have installed is WD Caviar Green. It is a SATA hard drive and I see no reason why it shouldn't be working? HP claims the problem is definitely not with the recovery disks.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
change the boot order in Bios to CD Rom 1st ..then harddrive 2nd. Save changes and then try rebooting with your recovery disk in the CD rom as it is booting it should ask you to hit any key to boot from CD if all is working well after you change the boot order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:eek:

Well I think I have something of a resolution: according to HP, "The recovery disk from HP will not work on hard drive purchased from retail version, due to a special coding known as tattooing that is done on every HP hard drive, motherboard and recovery disk, so that they recognize each other. However as you have replaced the hard drive from local store, the recovery disk is not able to find the coding, and hence is not working.

I will suggest you to get retail version of Operating system disk from local store or Microsoft, and install it in the new hard drive, and the boot the computer, the issue will be resolved."

GREEAATTT I have no idea what I will do now . . . seeing as I have already threw quite a few dollars away on this computer haha

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts
use Ubuntu to get into your computer (http://www.ubuntu.com) and copy NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and BOOT.ini to a floppy or a CD, then try to boot into Windows with the floppy or the cd as the first boot device.

Also, while your at it, you might want to back up important files while in Ubuntu...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.