Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

Recently I have purchased A Netbook, I'm a great fan of Windows XP so I purchased an external cd drive to go along with it. I Wiped My Hard-drive and now when I try to install windows from my XP Installation Disk, I goes straight to NTLDR Is corrupt , system cannot boot. I have changed the BIOS to use the external CD drive as the 1st option. I have tried burning serveral copies of the disk. I have noticed the disk works on my brothers laptop but when I try it on mine it does not work. I also ran a "quick" pass using DBAN to wipe the hard-drive to no success. If anyone knows anyway To fix This i would be most grateful. Would be a life-saver. Thank You In Advance

Fundamentals

Also..

I Am managing to run a copy on linux at the moment, is there anyway I could use a disk utility or Gparted inside this OS to fix the problem?

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
Boot into Setup (Bios) and choose USB device as 1st boot device. It should pick up your USB CD rom drive as the first boot device. If not try making a USB Flash Drive as a bootable drive to install Windows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Boot into Setup (Bios) and choose USB device as 1st boot device. It should pick up your USB CD rom drive as the first boot device. If not try making a USB Flash Drive as a bootable drive to install Windows.
The USB disk drive is chosen as the first boot device, it sounds like the disk begins to read then this error appears. It Is Windows Fundamentals That I Am Trying To Install, It Runs Along The Same Stuff As XP (also the disk works fine on another pc) Also , could it be a problem with the hard-drive? Or Should my hard-drive be partitioned to FAT32 or NTFS? this is possible using Linux which I am using just now.

My Hard-Drive Is Showing As Unallocated on the disk utility in linux

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
Your computer looks to boot devices and if it can't find a boot drive it skips it and goes to the next boot device, the Hard Drive, There is no OS on the drive so you get the NTLDR error.
What are the choices in the Bios for Boot Devices?
If the Fundamentals disc boots off of another computer (make sure it boots, not just reads) then the USB CD rom drive is not reading that CD, Burn discs may not work, unless it was burned on the absolutely slowest burn speed. Try a Microsoft XP Disc or see if you can make a Flash Drive out of the disc you have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your computer looks to boot devices and if it can't find a boot drive it skips it and goes to the next boot device, the Hard Drive, There is no OS on the drive so you get the NTLDR error.
What are the choices in the Bios for Boot Devices?
If the Fundamentals disc boots off of another computer (make sure it boots, not just reads) then the USB CD rom drive is not reading that CD, Burn discs may not work, unless it was burned on the absolutely slowest burn speed. Try a Microsoft XP Disc or see if you can make a Flash Drive out of the disc you have.
The Disk Drive Read A Burned Copy Of DBAN but gave errors while running. I Would Opt For The USB installation. Though This Way Is A nightmare, Would Fundamentals just be the same as putting XP on a USB? If So Could you give any times on how to do this.

Also the options are

USB CD
Hardrive
Network Atheros
USB HDD

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
I have never tried a Fundamentals CD to Flash Drive, but it should be the same procedure as an XP CD. What Errors did the DBAN disc give you? Was this in the process of burning the disc or using it on your netbook? Again, when you burn a bootable disc, use only name brand CD Blanks (Sony, PHillips, TDK, etc) and not generics, and burn at the Slowest speed. For them to read. Have you booted these discs on another computer (Boot not just Read)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never tried a Fundamentals CD to Flash Drive, but it should be the same procedure as an XP CD. What Errors did the DBAN disc give you? Was this in the process of burning the disc or using it on your netbook? Again, when you burn a bootable disc, use only name brand CD Blanks (Sony, PHillips, TDK, etc) and not generics, and burn at the Slowest speed. For them to read. Have you booted these discs on another computer (Boot not just Read)?
I am using Maxell disks and burning at 10x , they do read other computers and the DBAN errors where happening when it was trying to load stuff also got errors when trying to run a cd to fix NTLDR errors that was an ISO, it didn't boot at all. Maybe It Has Something to do with the CD Drive, Im Confused to say the least. I'm going to try PeToUSB see if that works. Any other suggestions you may have would be very helpful, thanks for your help this far : )

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
the DBAN errors where happening when it was trying to load stuff also got errors when trying to run a cd to fix NTLDR errors that was an ISO
What Stuff was DBAN trying to load? DBAN should just do a low level format and not load any stuff. When burning your ISO you have to burn the image not just copy it to the CD. Try using IMGBurn to burn ISO images. There is no need to burn a CD to fix NTLDR errors because you formatted the HDD using DBAN, remember?
You still haven't answered the question if you have booted off these CD's on another computer? You keep saying it's read, but you don't say whether it boots?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What Stuff was DBAN trying to load? DBAN should just do a low level format and not load any stuff. When burning your ISO you have to burn the image not just copy it to the CD. Try using IMGBurn to burn ISO images. There is no need to burn a CD to fix NTLDR errors because you formatted the HDD using DBAN, remember?
You still haven't answered the question if you have booted off these CD's on another computer? You keep saying it's read, but you don't say whether it boots?
Sorry, They Are Booting And Yes I Am Mounting The ISO Files Onto the CDS Properly. DBAN Booting then when i went to choose a format option it said it was loading a dban.(something) then said not found. I can edit partitions in linux , delete format etc? could this help?

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
You can format, and create partitions all day long, but if the CD drive isn't reading the boot CD you can't install Windows. You need either a different CD drive or you need to create a Windows Install Flash Drive. Or try a different XP CD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can format, and create partitions all day long, but if the CD drive isn't reading the boot CD you can't install Windows. You need either a different CD drive or you need to create a Windows Install Flash Drive. Or try a different XP CD.
Have just put Fundamentals onto memory pen using PEtoUSB so I will post results after I try , wish me luck :) thanks for your help so far :)

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
Boot into Setup (Bios) and change the mode for your HDD from AHCI to IDE or compatibility mode. Or slipstream your SATA drivers for your motherboard into your XP CD into your USB Flash Drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.