Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a few days back that my HD was filling up at quite a rate so managed to pin that down to some monitoring and alerting I had set up in XP pro to let me know when RAM was getting near to 100% used etc, thought I had fixed it, deleted old logs xGB sized files and told it to log in .csv - they take up much less room.

Cleared out one of my old drives which had XP Home on it but don't this drive now apart from file storage after i had this prob before and couldn't fix it.

Re-booted machine, all was running fine, then it ground to a halt and hung on me, so pushed the reset button, as it booted up pop's a lovely message saying NTLDR not found - NOT AGAIN i thought, so reset incase it was one of those annoying glitches or a dying HD...also through blind hope. but nope yet agin NTLDR has gone on holiday without informing me of it's intentions first!

What can I do I've heard various fixes but does anyone know what causes NTLDR to dissapear and is the rec console method for XP Pro likely to work

i.e typing

F:\copy D:\i386\ntdetct.com
F:\copy D:\i386\ntldr

I'm loathed to trying the fixboot option as last time it didn't help but made things worse. Though I fear it may be my only option if the above doesn't work.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi kpsmithuk, welcome to TSF (I used to live in Kent myself!)..

The recovery console commands should work but other things to check is the power cable to the hard drive/motherboard and the interface cable as these can sometime come a little lose and cause that error.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.....

Hi

Thanks for the swift response, I'll try it out tonight and let you know how I get on, interesting that you mention power cables, since i neglected to mention i gave the inside a small 'Spring Clean' since it was rather dusty inside maybe i disturbed something at the same time.

Out of interest what do NTLDR and ntdetect.com actually do? and do you know what makes them get corrupted/deleted, I think this is to do with my Hard Drive filling up so when i put them back the system will hang very fast or run very slow until I fix this memory issue although it has 2 drives it can use.

I have 2 Hard Drives:

C: which is a 40GB Drive
F: which is an 80GB Drive

Windows is located on F:\ as my orginal home version died with the same problem so I replaced it with XP Pro on F: with the intention of recovering my old copy so I could retrieve my my docs from the home installation. Unfortuatley I enabled some security in XP home that meant I couldn't take possesion of this folder from my new install of XP Pro - Can't delete it either!!!

My theory is to format C: once I have moved/backed up all the data I want from it, then since it is only 40GB and not used for alot, use it for media storage (legal) since it's eating valuable space on F: and then use a large chunk of this space for virtual memory/paging. Or something like that then all that will be on my 80GB will be programs and windows. Eventually I will upsize the spare drive to 80GB or more and just run windows, programs and virtual/paging off of F:\ and use the other drive for storage. Both drives imaged and backed up to a spare machine that I have. This way if anything happens i can roll back to a working image of the relevant failed drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers

Thankyou for that link, I will certainly have a look into this also.

My POA so far is

1.Check all cables and connections to HD's
2.Create Relevant boot disks as per link from Robert Diggs
3.Attempt recovery console method of repair

If that doesn't work

4.Use boot disk method off link from Robert Diggs

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Well you should always make backups of your harddrive for unknown times ahead. Setting good System Restores is one bit of it.

Broadly speaking:

NTLDR is the bootloader for Windows NT.
ntdetect.com, boot.ini and NTLDR are required on a system volume to bootup an OS.
NTLDR runs ntdetect.com to gather hardware info on bootup.

What Nick mentioned should fix it. If you doubt the condition of the HDD, run the manufacturer diagnostic tool for it and see its condition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If only

Kalim - lol, I wish i had the time to implement all the things i tell my customers on a daily basis at work, I just haven't had the time over the last year to sort it out i've had the PC for a while now so she's knocking on a bit and due for retirement soon but still runs fast enough for me I'll build a new one when Vista is more tried and tested it's plenty good enough to last.

Hopefully if I can get round to seperating OS and Programs from files and media and back those two drives up as images to my spare machine (or just my files and media) then that will sufice for now. Allowing me to save up to build my new beast :) intending to have RAID next time round!

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

Another problem that could be causing this issue is that the ground wire on your keyboard may be bad. Try a different keyboard and see what happens.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting

Hmmm interesting - are you talking PS2 Keyboards or USB, mine is USB not sure if that would make a difference. It does power up at boot up so I can enter bios etc with it.......first thing i changed when i chucked my PS2 keyboard and mouse into storage...still got them incase USB falls over.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

Not sure whether it's USB or PS2 specific, but it was a possibility that I read when looking into this very problem a while ago. Who knows?

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no problems it's worth a try anything is worth a try at the moment, i'm trying to decide if one of my customers surplus HP Prolient Servers would run Vista it's only 1 year old not sure of the spec yet but it's pretty good - i'm sure it'll fit somewhere in my room, might be a tad noisy though :p rofl

·
Banned
308 Posts
If you're going to run Vista, make sure you have at least two gigs of ram and a decent video card. Preferrably, I wouldn't want anything less than 2 gigs of RAM, C2D processor, and a top-o-line graphics card. Other than that, at this point in time, getting Vista right now doesn't seem worth it. Unless of course, you stumbled across a free version.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
You should wait a while for Vista -- many bugs, flaws, unknown errors, incompatibilities yet as with all Win early OSes. It'll be better to get it after the first 2-3 monthly reviews and opinions are out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
:)

Brandon - If a legal free version winged it's way to me, it would be great, otherwise it's windows XP on a server time.

Kalim - My thoughts exactly I haven't even started thinking about moving my customers/new customers to Vista yet, new hardware is all Vista capable but i'm not installing till it's a bit more tried and tested unless i'm forced to.

·
Banned
308 Posts
All hardware should be Vista ready, I believe Vista shipped with nearly 20,000 drivers? I agree with Kalim though. I would wait even longer myself, but everyone is different. *edit* Even though MS stole the Mac desktop feel, I do kind of think that Windows may have gotten a majority of this OS right. Time will tell though.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sounds like a good idea probably SP1 but depends on what the clients demand vs what i manage to persuade them they actually need

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Minimum for me if you desperately need it is 3 months or so. Otherwise I'd wait 9 months :smile:

...and thats if you really need it too. XP SP3 is coming out soon, which would obviously make it better and more secure!

Want the Vista look without the 600MB idle basic RAM usage? Well they have the Vista Transformation Pack 6.01 (IIRC) which will do that just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.