Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all !
basicly the problem is summed up in the title... but
I have two computers joined via ethernet cable to a Netgear WGR614 V.4 router. The NTL cable modem is again attached via ethernet to the router (into the interent slot).
The problem is there is no interent on the second computer. Well at least its incredibly slow. The webpage will load but after about 4 minutes of waiting and even then pictures don't seem to be able to appear.
This problem happened a number of weaks ago when the second computer was connected wirelessly to the router.. the interent seemed to work fine but then the same problem occured so my first thought was it Wireless problems so exhanged wireless adapter for the ethernet cable.
it worked for a few weeks... now the same problem is back!!!
I really hope someone can help! the problem is incredibly frustrating! my knowledge of network jargon is very limited so and help in the simplest of term would be much appreciated :tongue:

·
Registered
103 Posts
is the second PC connected to a power strip or surge supressor? there is a chance that you have gotten a power surge and blew out your NIC (network card). what brand of NIC did you put in? if the PC is on a power strip I would go buy a surge suppressor and a 3com NIC. also, try a different port on the router. the router might be going bad. same thing applies to a router or any electronic equip. Attach it to a surge suppressor (preferrably one that has lightning protection) not a power strip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the computer is on a power strip the ethernet connection is using this NIC : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
but surely then if this was the case then the wireless usb adapter would work? which it doesn't the same problem occurs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i don't think its a case of the USB being blowen as i have been using the ports for other things such as a memory stick and webcamera and they work fine?
and i have used AdAware to scan for any spyware.. but i still have the problem? could you suggest any other spyware/malware removal tools?
thnkaoyu for all your help =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.