Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI! Just read some stuff about the corrupt ntfs.sys file but they were not exactly matching to my problem. Now I have the info about what this file is but still no solution.
The computer starts the memory check and then the system halts and on a black screen it says that this file is missing or corrupt. I should try to fix the installation using the Setup CD. After that it reboots by pressing any key. So i tried to start the setup. It starts to load all the driver files and checks all the stuff (blue screen where the infomation is below) Up to the point where the ntfs.sys is checked. After that the system (still boot from cd) says again that this file is missing or corrupt and therefore the setup failed. So there is no chance for me to boot my computer and no chance to install anything new. Is there a problem with the CD too. How could I get acces to the System to do anything with this file. Could it help to get the working file from some other PC? Maybe by putting the HD into another XP CD????

Please help....
ANDY

·
Registered
45 Posts
Umm, I'm no professional at this but I can give you some tips..

Hopefully you don't have files on your computer that you're afraid to lose.

I would goto http://www.bootdisk.com and download the windows 98 bootdisk. Install it to a floppy. Put it in the screwed up computer and turn the computer on. It might ask you if you want to start ms dos with or without cd support.. select 'no cd support'.

then when it gets booted.. Type "format c:" without the quotes.
It will ask you to confirm.. do it.

After that is all done... remove the disk, insert a cd for an operating system you have and reboot. It should go into the setup and be ready to install.

If you have 1 hard drive installed with no partition it will show a
'C' drive that might say 'raw data' next to it if you didn't run fdisk.
It should automatically give you an option for FAT32 or NTFS I'm thinking. Do whatever you prefer.

I hope I'm not going 'under your helmet' here and telling you stuff you allready know. This isn't really a direct fix for what your problem is but it should fix the problem. It's probaby taking 'the long way around'. If you have files on the hard drive you don't want to use I suggest waiting to see if somebody else finds a different solution for you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Install your current HD as slave in another machine is a good idea too.
Then overwrite the corrupted C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys with a working copy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ntfs.sys corrupt

HI! Thanks for your hints... Meanwhile I tried a lot of things and the things I tried led me to the conclusion that there must be a hardware failure. Either the Memory or the Mothereboard is broken.

I tested the Harddrive in another XP PC and it worked. I have saved all my data so everything is possible now with the HD. I replaced my old ntfs.sys with the working one from the other PC. There was no change when I put the HD back into my PC. Moreover this failure occured whenn starting the setup from the CD too. This would lead to the conlusion that the file on the CD is corrupt as well. But I don`t think that this is possible.

Somewhere else I read that there was a problem with the RAM. Could this lead to these symptomes?

How could I test the other Hardware??? (Motherboard, RAM)
ANDY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ntfs.sys

Another thing why I think somthing with the Hardware is wrong is that not even knoppix is booting.

·
Registered
266 Posts
•to test the memory:
get a spare memory stick and replace the one you have and see what happens.

•to test the mobo:
get a testing DOS utility to check your mobo, (booting from a floppy, of course) :D
I'd also flash the mobo to the latest version. It won't hurt.

•what's knoppix? :p

S

·
0 Posts
Knoppix is or was a Linux program that you could download and burn to a CD. Then you can boot to the CD and run linux off of it without installing it to your hard drive. Everything is done in memory including surfing the net.

Take a look here.....:winkgrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.