Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently I have been having random BSoD's in Win XP pro. The error is a STOP: 0x00000024 and the problem is in ntfs.sys.

The crashes are random. Sometimes I'll get a lot of them in a row. Other times (like now) I can work for hours and be fine. As strange as it sounds it seems to be worse when the computer is cold.

I have 2 HDs both 40Gb, the new 7200rpm has Windows on it. The drives are IDE. I have run the gwscan.exe program on both drives and did not have any errors either in the SMART report or on the extended test.

I have also run memtest86 v3.0 on my memory (single stick of 512mb) on pass 1 I had one error which did not repeat on 8 more passes. I was told that the memory was probably good since it was only one error on one pass.

I also get occasional application crashes (eudora, mozilla, windows explorer in particular) that do not crash windows. I guess it's related to the overall problem.

Whew... lots of words, any ideas?

oh, the motherboard is an Expx 8RDA+ Nforce2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have nosed around the Microsoft site. I didn't find anything useful (or that I understood). I have run checkdisk on all my partitions but recieved no error messages as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I just found my problem. I ran memtest again except this time I ran it after the computer had been turned off over night. I got a lot of errors. I don't understand why I get errors when the memory is cold and no errors when it is warm. Seems backward to me. Could I be having some problem other than memory? PS or motherboard maybe?

·
Registered
77 Posts
hmm... gwscan? got a gateway computer? sounds like bad ram to me, have seen bad ram cause errors in ntfs.sys, acpi.sys, pci.sys, etc...

you are describing an intermittent failure, where your memory diags are also intermittently detecting failure as well... i dont see the confusion, replace the ram or have gateway do it for you if its still under warranty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.