Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to the fighters of the good fight ,

I have recently managed a fresh install of xp on a single 80gb sata drive and all was weel for a while however 2 days in and my machine had a hang which resulted in a necessary power off . On reboot i couldnt get onto the xp os, and tried safe mode where it was hanging on mup.sys and would not go any further. So i tried booting from xp cd and used fixboot which worked and booted me into windows. However during tha time there was another hang inside windows which needed another reboot and this time every time i booted up i was getting the blue screen of death giving nme the ntfs.sys error

***stop 0x00000024 (0x001902FA), (0xF89ADB70, 0XF89AD870, 0xF814B83D)

***ntfs.sys - address F814b3d base at f813a000, datestamp 3d6de5c1

this time every time i tried to use xp to boot and recover i could not get into it as it would kick up the blue screen after asking if i wanted to repair existing or install xp.

I have managed and install xp on a small ide drive and am currently trying to slave the sata drive so i can get the contents from it. However every time i connect the sata drive with the ide drive set to master and making sure i boot from that xp install i get the blue screen error again.

Also if i connect the drive once booted up inside windows it reboots

Is this a terminal HD error or simply a recoverable windows error ?

any help really appreciated as i have a clients work waiting on it and its getting scary...OOPS!

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem, I do not know what caused it or why it happened, and it took me almost 5 days to finally get it working again.

Although probably not the easiest way to fix my computer, or the simplest, what I did was

1. Downloaded Knoppix (a Live CD version of Linux) from www.knoppix.de
2. Backed up all my work from Knoppix. Knoppix supports reading of NTFS filesystems, but will not write.
3. Once I had my backup, I opened shell in Knoppix
4. My hard drive had the name of HDE1. hde represented the drive and 1 the partition. I used the shell and typed:
su (turns you into super-user)
fdisk /dev/hde

once fdisk was running on my hard drive I used delete (d) on the partition. I then used x for expert and the w command (write to disk) This dleted my bad partition on reboot and allowed me to reinstall windows.

-Tekhead teenager

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.