Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my harddrive replaced, afterwards I did my best to reinstall all of my drivers but I can't seem to figure out what I need to do for my internet now. I have cable for my ISP but I can't connect as there isn't any connection option in network connections (Such as LAN). What do I have to do to get a connection option there?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Check in your device manager (right click My Computer > select Properties > click the Hardware tab > click the Device Manager button) for any big X's or yellow exclamation marks. If you see neither of those, click the + sign beside Network adapters (if it is listed) to make sure your network card is installed, and working, correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there were four yellow (!)'s under other devices. I was able to install drivers for one of them which added Modems to the list of hardware but there are these still under other devices with !'s.

Ethernet controller
Video Ccntroller
Video controller (VGA compatible)

·
7,738 Posts
Well you need to find the driver for Ethernet controller. Well honestly, you probably need to find drivers for your video controller also...

There are a few ways to do that, you can either download a utility that can help you find information about the device (the only one I know of off the top of my head is the
driverguide toolkit
which is a free trial, but should last you long enough to figure it out.

Or you could open the case up and see what you can find written on the cards themselves. A serial number, a model number, brand name...anything.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
You should be able to get net connection with MS drivers it'll loadup at start anyway. If not scan for them manually.

Goto Control Panel> Network Setup Wizard and set up your connection with the details of LAN. See if that helps you get on the net to d/l your drivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I had to put the program on a CD in order to use it (as I can't access internet on that computer) but anyways this is the information it told me about those 3 devices.

Ethernet Controller
DriverGuide Toolkit has detected the following information about this device:

Device: BCM5750A1 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
Vendor: Broadcom Corp
OEM: Dell Computer Corp
Manufacturer: UNKNOWN
---------------------------------------------
Driver Information
Class: Unknown
Version:
Date:
Capabilities: 0
ClassGUID: {4D36E97E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
CompatibleIDs: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1677&REV_01
ConfigFlags: 64
DeviceDesc: Ethernet Controller
HardwareID: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1677&SUBSYS_01771028&REV_01
LocationInformation: PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0

Video Controller
Device: Radeon X300 Series - Secondary
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
OEM: ATI Technologies Inc
Driver Information
Version:
Date:
CompatibleIDs: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B70&REV_00
DeviceDesc: Video Controller
HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B70&SUBSYS_03031002&REV_00
LocationInformation: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1

Video Controller VGA
DriverGuide Toolkit has detected the following information about this device:

Device: Radeon X300 Series
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
OEM: ATI Technologies Inc
Driver Information
Version:
Date:
CompatibleIDs: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&REV_00
DeviceDesc: Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_03021002&REV_00
LocationInformation: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Try installing your ethernet card in a different pci slot. When booting up, enter bios setup .> under pnp/pci setup enable the setting to "reset configuration data". hopefully, windows will see it as new hardware and install the drivers. once you have the nic card drivers installed, a lan connection will show in network connections and you'll be able to go online. if not, use the new connection wizard to set up your internet connection.

Another option would be a usb connection from the cable modem. in order to use usb, you'll have to download usb drivers from your isp or use their installation software to load the usb drivers. the ethernet/lan option is the simplest and most reliable though

·
7,738 Posts
Well, something tells me windows won't find drivers for that piece of hardware because it is fairly new (i've had my share of problems with windows trying to install NIC drivers and not being able to).

If their suggestions don't work let me know and I'll see if I can find the manufacturers drivers for you.

Either way, you should probably install your video drivers. They will help your system a LOT. They are available for download for free from ATI's website (just click HERE)
From there, you can download either the Catalyst Software Suite or just the Display Driver
If you would like to take advantage of all the features of your ATI graphics card, we recommend using download option 1. If you only require basic functionality, we recommend you use option 2.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
I think the setupapi log will contain information about the drivers you are installing and are failing as in some previous ones are there and are not correct. Most likely they're already installed and picked up in the *.inf folders the computer looks to first. What motherboard do you have, its not clear to me?

The motherboard manufacturer always lists the drivers needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.