Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I built my friend a computer about 6 months ago and it has been running ok. But now when he tries 2 turn it on all he gets is a black screen, but you can tell his computer is getting power because everything turns on and lights pop on but nothing appears on the screen. So heres what I have done so far...

So i thought maybe it could be the video card right? I tried switching my vid card with his and turning on his computer but still nothing... So I put his card in my comp and I get picture, so its not the card...

This is where I am stuck... I cant think of any other way to troubleshoot.
Maybe it could be...

1. The GFX Card slot on the mobo?
2. CPU is blown?

Anyone could help me with this problem... This is his computer specs...

Mobo - Asus A8N32-SLI Series
CPU - AMD XP 64 ( I forget the rest)
GFX - EVGA Nvidia Gforce (Forgot >.< )
RAM - 2 GB corsair XMD

Ok I think this is the only things needed. Because I know when you turn a computer on you should see display aslong as these 4 components work right? Any help would be great! thanks

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Hi, welcome to TSF. :wave:

What power supply?

Reseat the RAM.

Clear CMOS:
First ground yourself by touching a radiator or the computer case.
Then unplug the computer from the wall outlet and open the case.
Remove the little "coin-like" battery on the motherboard.
Move the "clear CMOS" jumper on the motherboard from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3.
Wait 30 minutes.
Replace the jumper to pins 1&2.
Put the battery back.
Close the case and start the computer.
Enter BIOS and choose "Load setup defaults" (or something similar) - save and exit BIOS.

Please don't post your question in more than one thread. I have removed the other thread you created.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh sorry about the double post. Ok I have taken out the battery from the board and switched the jumper pins but the board said it only needed 2 be on it for 10 or so seconds. Will 30 mins make it different?

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Usually 30 seconds is enough. If that doesn't work - try 30 minutes. The most important part is to disconnect the computer from the wall socket (many forget that).

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Mean what?
The computer will run with a dead CMOS battery, but you will get a "Checksum error" message when you boot - and the BIOS settings will revert to default as soon as the power is cut.
Clearing CMOS didn't help?
Did you reseat the RAM stick(s)?

What power supply is installed? Is there another you can try?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i took out the batt had the jumpers in reset for 20 mins booted up and still black. I also took out the ram and put it back in.

Power supply is came with case. Its a RAIDMAX 12V power Model No:RX-450k (ky-550atx)

I know this computer is getting power because I see the fans going and cd drives can open and close.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
That doesn't mean the computer gets enough power.
The Raidmax ky-550atx has a very weak +12V rail (14A).
I think you should try a "stronger" PSU. How strong depends on what video card is installed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm I took out the vid card and its a EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT.

Any reason why all of a sudden the Power supply would just kill over like this tho?

Is it most likely the PS or cud it be the CPU... I would hate it 2 be the CPU or Mobo...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What if I unplugged the unnecessary drives like the 2 CD drives and the 2nd HD. WOuldnt that make the PSU push more power 2 the other components?

I just did this and still no picture

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
See it this way: What is the alternative?
You have tried another video card, cleared CMOS, reseated RAM.
If you don't try another PSU you have to find another monitor (or check the monitor connection) or start swapping mobo and/or CPU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol nice point.. Ima try 2 switch this computers PSU with the raidmax tomorrow, and if that doesnt work... Oh man..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I finally got around to switching PSU and still the computer turns on but no gfx appear on screen. Once again you can hear and see everything power up but nothing pops on screen.

So I come to the conclusion that it must be the CPU or MOBO right?

If So... Is there any way to test which one is fried?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried switching vid cards. The video card that was in the broken computer works, and if I put a diff vid card in the broken comp it still wont show anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hehe is there anyway 2 try a bench test if i dont see anything? lol. My whole screen is black when I turn on my computer >.< So its most likely not the CPU and its the MOBO?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.