Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notebook Recommendations?...

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  tosh9i 
#1 ·
I am looking into getting a new Notebook computer. I currently have a Dell Ispiron 1501. I have looked around for a while and found this- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114343 - which looks pretty decent. My girlfriend is also looking into one and I thought I'd recommend this to her as well. I have copied and pasted the questions I was to answer... these are just about the same for me and my girlfriend... so does this computer look good or does anyone have other suggestions? Thanks!

Budget: How much money are you willing to spend on the laptop? Looking to stay around $800

Screen: What size screen do you want, and do you need widescreen? 15.4"... widescreen not needed.

Brands: Are there any brands you want Toshiba, Aceror don't wantDell, Gateway, HP to buy?

Mobility: How much will you need and how long does the battery need to last? Minimum of 2.5 hours... of course the more the better though

Durability: Does this laptop need to be sturdy or durable/semi-durable? Semi-durable

Multitasking: Will you be multitasking with this laptop and if so, how much? Mostly schoolwork and internet browsing. I do tend to find myself have a large number of programs running at once.

Gaming: Will you be gaming and if so, how much and how new are the games? Not much gaming at all... maybe java internet game type things when classes are boring... otherwise, not a lot.

Calculations: Will you be doing any intense calculations or multimedia encoding? Not sure what this includes... so probably not.

Storage: How much storage will you need and what will you be storing? I'd like to have a hefty amount of storage. My Dell has 40 GB which blows. At least 80 GB would be great. Mostly storing pictures, music, and Office documents. I have a 60GB external HD already.

Optical Media: Will you need to burn any optical media like CDs or DVDs? Quite possible could come in handy.

Operating System: Do you want Windows XP or Vista, or Linux compatibility? Windows Vista... I love it! I only have the basic version... and would very much like to upgrade when I get a new computer, should it have basic as well. What version is the best for home use?

Should I buy this computer, I would spend a bit more than the $800 to upgrade Vista (if it isn't the version I want), and the RAM, in which case I'd just sell my current one.

Thanks for the Help!

Jiller

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I should mention I am willing to consider other brands than those I mentioned. Also, I'd like to be able to upgrade RAM to 2GB at the least... which I guess is probably the most a majority of notebooks go to anyway. 15.4" Screen size is a minimum... I would go larger should a notebook be cheap enough (I'm a poor college student!!)

#7 ·
(I'm a poor college student!!)
That's why :wink:

I am fine with this computer to finish this school year (I hope so anyway...) and plan on purchasing something different over the summer. As for my girlfriend, her parents are buying it for her birthday coming up, as she needs a new one.

In other words, I am looking to find something that is good for her... and I will probably buy the same thing for myself later if I like it.

#9 ·
Okay... I just want recommendations as to what computers are good and what aren't. Like I said, I'm not the only one getting a computer... so it would be nice to know what is good now. Thanks for the help though, it is much appreciated. :smile:

#12 ·
#13 ·
Hmm... strange that the site doesn't work through that link. I can still get to it by going through the newegg homepage. This computer is a TOSHIBA Satellite A135-S4527 Intel Pentium dual-core T2080(1.73GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB 120GB DVD Super Multi Intel GMA950 NoteBook. If you want to look at it on newegg, go to laptops/notebooks, toshiba america, then sort by best rating... it is the first one.

#17 ·
My only problem with these (well, at least the one dai recommended) is that Windows XP is installed instead of Vista Home Premium. Upgrading would be a pain in my butt considering I wouldn't know how to install Vista HP and moreso in having to purchase it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.