Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A notebook with mobile Athlon XP 1.8+ processor. I'm thinking of upgrading the processor (seems to be upgradable, as the cpu compartment lid opens without having to open the notebook), but I can't find any information anywhere on the web regarding processor availability and prices (to buy a new cpu). I'm experienced with hardware upgrades and I can remove the processor from it's socket; the problem is that I do not know where to buy a new mobile Athlon XP processor.

Is there anyone who has done this before that could spare me some advice?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I seriously doubt that any upgrade you can do to that machine will result in a meaningful performance increase. I'd save your pennies for a new laptop...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Definately save for the new laptop. A couple of years ago, I upgraded the CPU in an IBM ThinkPad. I forget the exact specs, but it was supposed to be a 30% increase in overall speed... in other words, a huge boost.

My noticable speed increase was nowhere near 30%. More like 5-8%. I'm not saying your situation will have the same results, but a new laptop is almost certainly the way to go.

Or just build a desktop :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.