Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Not sure if my question belongs here. If it does not then please point me in the right direction.

Situation:

I gave a friend a newer PC to replace an older one. The old PC was given to me and I thought I would get it running for one of the kids to play around with. Well I put my own drives in,(I swapped my friend's gear) and when I install XP or 2K the machine runs great. But when I restart or even cold start; the machine will give me the message..."BOOT FROM CD:" then it will not load saying there is BOOT DISK FAILURE: INSERT OPERATING SYSTEM CD. This will work fine if I leave a copy of XP or what ever in the optical drive. I've been in the bios and where ever I can, I am MCSA and remember the good ole days of editing autoexec's to get machines to run. But I am stumped...

What am I missing? The unit functions great except for needing the CD to boot...not a big deal, since I have 8 functional PCs and a server that weighs more than my fridge...but what could be going on here?

BTW it is an old Emachine (w2247). There are no BIOS upgrades available through the manufacturer's website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.