Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a Win 7 question, per se, but I was told to post it here:

I want to be as exact as I can here, but also don’t want to bore, so I will include a short and long form version of my question. And to all who look and/or answer, thank you very much for the assistance. Oh, and the sought after solution only needs to apply to Windows and Mac operating systems.

In short:

I wish for a suggestion for a free software package, or method, to take a large list of names (say, from a spreadsheet or test file) and be able to print custom labels from them. I need the user to be faced with the simple procedure of a) entering names, then b) either hitting print (after selecting custom label template) or doing a quick export or other conversion, then printing. I am aiming for a novice level end-user experience.

In detail:

I have been asked to design a simple web page for someone. As always happens, it turns out that they are not even close to being ready for this stage, and need help with media and design. I now need to figure out how to take a list of names/whatever, and, as simply as possible, get them on to custom labels (also yet to be designed). All I know about the labels, at this point, is that there will be a fixed text component to print the names beside, and there will need to be three labels to a page.

I’ll be honest. I have no idea how to accomplish this task. He does not want a single template that the user can fill in, three labels at a time, and print out one page at a time, wash and repeat (which would make life simple, at my end). He wants them to create the list, choose a template (out of three or four), then hit print, and walk away- to come back later and find the print job done, one name per label.

I have looked into excel to word conversion methods, and they seem advanced, for the novice end user, and, besides, not everyone has office. I have looked for free, yet robust label making software, and have yet to see one that could (hands free) print from a list (I am hoping that someone has a solution this easy, but it needs to be free (and malware free)). I have also looked into free office suites. Libre looks like it may do what I need, but I have received no answer on the user forum (any Libre advice here is also most welcome). I’m afraid that having custom software designed for this task is out of the financial question, at the moment. I am greatly appreciative of any help, suggestions or advice anyone cares to offer. Thanks again for your time. I will check back frequently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Perhaps a simpler question to ask

Thus far, 176 people have looked at my previous post:

Code:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/not-sure-which-software-will-do-this-828762.html

and have been unable to help me. I am guessing this means that I might be out of luck. Therefore, let me pose a simpler question, if I may.

Is there a way to do what I am looking to do solely from within a spreadsheet? That is, can I, in effect, turn a spreadsheet into a simple label making program? Taking something like Libre or Open Office, could I arrange a nice border within an enlarged cell (with clipart or otherwise), and type a name and/or message within that border? If so, I imagine that I could just have the user repeat that process as many times as needed. Thanks again for the help, I sincerely appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. I might be getting to the point where beggars can't be choosers; however, the mail merge seems more advanced than my client is looking for. I'm not sure that the average end user will have the know-how to do any complex conversions. I might came back to this, if nothing else works. Enjoy your upcoming eclipse!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.