Tech Support banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I use external Seagate hard drives for backups, I run them through a USB hub that gets external power as I noticed a coyote of years ago that seemed to speed things up.

Multiple times recently, with multiple different though similar hard drives, the drive has disconnected in the middle of a backup. So, using robocopy, it stops finding the path to the drive and though the drive is still turned on, it is no longer listed in This PC.

I was wondering if it’s an addressing issue?
Windows 10 Pro
build 19041
x64
intel I-7
bios mode uefi
there is a C drive that’s about 500gb, then two hard drives D and E each 2 terabytes. The external hard drives are 4 or 5 terabytes.

Recently because of slowness, I uninstalled Dropbox, Adobe, Macrium, and my Epson printer software. System seems much faster but this is still happening and my rec Windows update attempt hung (see other thread I just started).
So confused. Having trouble getting a complete backup so reluctant to reinstall Windows but will if you think that would help.

·
Premium Member
42,040 Posts
USB Mass Storage devices like USB HDD's have intermittent connection issues, even with a powered hub. It is suggested to plug your Backup drives directly to the Back USB port of the computer and not thru a hub or in the Front USB ports. If the drives have their own power adapter, they should be plugged directly into the wall and not thru a power strip. You can put your lower powered devices like Keyboards, Mice, Printers etc thru the Hub or Front USB.
You can also use an app called TeraCopy. This app helps when copying large amounts of data. If you lose connection, it will pick up where it left off and you don't need to start from the beginning. It also makes the backup more stable. And it verifies the files to the originals.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wanted to backup computer first, having trouble. Please don’t close the threads, still working on this.

·
Premium Member
42,040 Posts
You are the only person who can mark this thread "Solved" No one will close it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts