Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here goes. I have a new, very fast and patched up system. I had it customized for gaming. I have been playing these modules: NeverWinter Nights, the official expansion pack and a few other modules downloaded from tehir website, all with no issues for several months. Recently my monitor began to shut itself down. Not going into hibernation or sleep or anything; I already checked that. Because I couldn't "see" what was happening, I had to unplug my computer and plug back in. Ctrl, Alt, Del doesn't work when this happens. I haven't been able to play any module since. The CD drive stops "spinning" too. I manually uninstalled fully, first without deleting saved games, etc. then with deleting saved games, etc. I am lost here. I can't play anything now. I was hoping you may have some insight. Granted, I bought the monitor used, not new. That could be it. Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Nobody I have asked about this has any idea what could be happening. Other concern is that I can play a game called Baldur's Gate II, made back a few years ago and I can go online normally, but anything having to do with NWN is shutting my system down. And also, why did this just start happening?
tim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my system is

Motherboard: Don't know AMD Athalon 1900+, NVIDIA GEForce 5600 with 128 RAM, 512 MB RAM
The monitor is used, Toshiba Tekbright 710V

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are your Power Options on the Control Panel set to shut off the monitor after a certain period of time?

Is the entire system shutting itself down? Some systems have a thermal detector that will power down things in the computer, and won't power them back up until temperatures decrease to safe levels.

How large is your power supply, and how old is it? 350W supply?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't been online in a few days. Thanks for responding. I do not know what the power supply spec is. The power supply options are all set to "never" sleep or hibernate, etc.

I ended up bringing the system in to the guy who put it together for me and he tested it. He told me today that some kind of substance (can't remember the name of it) that sits behind one of the fans and keeps the temp down (something like that, I am sorry I don't remember exactly) has broken down and he thinks because of this, the temp is getting way too hot very quickly. He is replacing this stuff tomorrow and will test again. Basically, and I am sorry for being master of the obvious here, it appears the temp is too hot and is shutting the system down. I will update if it continues to be a problem. Thanks again!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the computewr back today. The guy says to me, "...I put my video card in it and noticed the settings were off for yours..." and"...finally I hooked up your video card again and ran the game you were talking about and it worked fine all night, I left it on..."

OK

So, I get home and turn on the system and turn on the game (neverwinternights) I am not using 3d stuff, etc. just the basic settings, which my system should be able to handle with "its eyes closed". the system shuts down.

CHRIST! I am so pissed. Does anybody have any ideas whatsoever as to what the deal is here? for example, right now, the system is working while I am online, but it is bound to shut down again anytime. I had to reset it more than 7 times before it would go through setup and give me a desktop. My monitor is used, pre-2001 a Toshiba TEKBRIGHT 701, is it possible that this monitor simply is incompatble with the newer video card? furthermore, if that is the case, WHY was I able to play this game for 2 months already before the problem?

The guy also seems to vbe fixated on the video card over heating and even asked me, off the cuff, if I lived in a really hot house, which I do not. It's Michigan for Pete's sake!

Anyway, please read from post 1 on this and thanks in advance for any assistance!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.