Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see any good place for Vista "chit-chat" so I figure this would be the best place. If this is disruptive or whatever I guess you could move it to comments & announcements?

Anyways just had a good chuckle because not 2 nights ago I was saying to a friend that I haven't found a good reason to switch to Vista. He agreed there isn't enough benefit to justify an upgrade.

Now as irony would have it, I just discovered something that sounds quite useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_ReadyBoost

This makes me wonder... what else is in Vista that I don't know about that could compell the average user to upgrade? (besides looks... which actually I think a good themepack/mod for XP Pro can actually emulate Aero if I'm not mistaken?)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi joe7dust..since your question is Vista related why not post it here. The "New" feature of Readyboost is actually nothing new at all. Your XP had SuperFetch and is the same old hat with a different brim. Things have come a long way since Win95 but the basic OS can only be so improved. The internet has grown expotentially with gobbs of info available and of course we are all packrats to some degree so we need a way to save and index all our superfluous files. (breathe). Let us see just how "New" Win7 really is! Vista (longhorn) in theory is different (guard the kernel) to a slim degree over XP...so what. What is the true advantage? Then to "sell it" with a moving "theme" is just childish and gamish. If your a formerly deprived child who never held a kaleidoscope as a kid then Aero is something you will think is "neato". When the effects of the weed wears off and you realize you sacrifice performance for this idiocy you will understand that you've been had and disable it. Remember the "fishtank screensaver" for XP? Same baloney sandwich. Remember harddrives that were huge at 1gig? Now with 500gig hd's think how much total garbage you can save? You'll need "readyboost" and "search" running as a service in case you want to be able to find that picture you took of your cat 2 years ago..:sigh:. Like automobiles, a VW and a Cadillac will both get you where you want to go, some people just wish to take their livingroom along with them when they travel. Lifecycles of OS's seem to be shortening as MS forces you toward the new model.:laugh: Why stop at Vista....:laugh:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"When the effects of the weed wears off and you realize you sacrifice performance for this idiocy you will understand that you've been had and disable it."

I LOL'd :laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.