Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strangely your editor does not allow me to enter a title Using Firefox.

Hello again,

No matter which undelete programme I try, not one of them will ever find a deleted file.

I copy a file to a directory on C: or D:, delete it and then empty the Recycle Bin. Whatever application I care to use, the file, which is very unlikely to have been overwritten, can not be found. No trace of it ever.

The undelete applications are on drive Z: so that running the undeleter should have no effect on drive C: or D: where the deletion has been done.

Is there something wrong with my discs, or is it the security app ? It worked in XP !

Regards

Cheemag

(Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Kaspersky Internet Security 2015)

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,532 Posts
Install the recovery software on the C: drive, the drive that has the OS on it.

Is your hard drive encrypted?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Install the recovery software on the C: drive, the drive that has the OS on it.
OK I'll try that, although the choice of drive to scan is always given regardless of where it's run from.

Is your hard drive encrypted?
No. Although the free space is overwritten regularly. However, as the test deletions and attempted recovery are made without any intervening cleansing, and within a minute of the test deletion, that should not make any difference

Regards

Cheemag

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,532 Posts
If Recvua is installed on the C drive and you select a Deep Scan, what are the reads of the program?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If Recvua is installed on the C drive and you select a Deep Scan, what are the reads of the program?
Copied header.txt from C:\Download to C:\Temp; deleted header.txt from C:\Temp at the command prompt.

After three hours of deep scanning, Recuva found 120,000+ files, but not
the test deletion :eek:(( Blank screen. "File not found" after giving it the filename of the deleted file.

Regards,

Cheemag

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Copied header.txt from C:\Download to C:\Temp; deleted header.txt from C:\Temp at the command prompt.

After three hours of deep scanning, Recuva found 120,000+ files, but not
the test deletion :eek:(( Blank screen. "File not found" after giving it the filename of the deleted file.
I tried yet another undelete application. Same result: Sorry your file was not found.

I also tried the same method of simulating a file recovery on my other machine, an older one with Windows 7 Pro (this one's Home Premium) and it worked perfectly. So it isn't my method, it's the machine.

Regards

Cheemag

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried yet another undelete application. Same result: Sorry your file was not found.

I also tried the same method of simulating a file recovery on my other machine, an older one with Windows 7 Pro (this one's Home Premium) and it worked perfectly. So it isn't my method, it's the machine.
No it isn't ! I successfully recovered a test deletion from the second NTFS volume drive D:/

So it's the C:/ drive that's the problem.

Regards

Cheemag

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.