Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. My dad has an eMachines PC, about four or five years old. It's been pretty reliable, until today. He says that it was on the Windows default screen saver and he moved the mouse and the screen just turned off. The computer will turn on, but nothing appears on the monitor other than the "Your monitor is working" message. I tested it with a different monitor, I put in a graphics card and tried that, replaced the CMOS battery, cleared CMOS, checked the connections many times. Also, what may be something to note, the num/scroll/caps lock lights flash when it boots up but otherwise do not respond, so I'm thinking it doesn't really get past the first screen. It's a manufactured commercial PC, but nonetheless I did the normal tests. And as you may know, the commercial PCs are not as easy to take apart and mix-and-match parts with as homemade ones like mine are. I can't test it with a different processor, as I have none that fit, and testing with a new motherboard or power supply would be quite the hassle. Any ideas are great, thanks.

eMachines T3265
AMD Athlon 3200+ XP Processor (not sure about the GHz, can't boot up)
768 MB of RAM
160 GB hard drive

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Have seen this many times with emachines and its usually the motherboard or the power supply, sometimes both as the machines are known for psu failure and it takes the board with it.

I would first suggest to remove all cards(except video)and drives and just try and get it to post if no go you should try another psu then if that fails a new board.

You can find socket A boards faily cheap on ebay

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.