Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been dealing with a particularly irritating and puzzling search error. While almost all of my files are searchable by content, all of the ones within a certain folder only show up by name. I have rebuilt the index multiple times, set the folder options to search all files by content under Folder and Search Option, and set it to index Properties and File Contents under Indexing Options, but none of this has seemed to resolve the problem. Thanks for taking the time to reading and any input that might help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,703 Posts
Go back to Index Properties and File Contents, Modify and make sure the proper drive is selected. Then apply it to the entire drive (probably C:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Only one folder, Windows was yet to be selected. I left that that one unmarked because I thought the folder with my documents had already been included, but I will try again when its finished modifying the index, thanks.

Still no luck so far, though it' hasn't finishing everything from the Windows folder.

Thanks, but the problem still persists.

·
28,703 Posts
This might not do it, but you've tried so many things and the problem shouldn't exist. Anyway, create a new folder and put the files in it. I can't see how one corrupted file could cause this, but if it still happens, who knows?

·
28,703 Posts
Post the path of the folder and one of the files. Just a suspicion. If anything too personal, just change that part.

·
28,703 Posts
If this was first created as a PDF it wouldn't be searchable by content. Special conversion needed.

·
28,703 Posts
Custom search should find Users files even if Search doesn't. On the other problem, make sure you've done everything shown in: How to Make Windows 7 Search File Contents: 12 steps
Finally,if you have Word 2007 or 2010 and old files are on C:, make sure you search .doc as well as .docx.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Done all of that thanks, I even unchekced and the rechecked the index file contents in properties of the folder which was already checked to no avail.

·
28,703 Posts
It seems you are not alone in having this problem in Windows7. The new 8 doesn't solve it either. Many have complained to MS as to the failures of "Search". We try not to recommend product, particularly paid ones, and I've had no experience with this one: Mythicsoft - High performance file searching tools, but some claim it "improves" the MS Search. Before investing, I'd ask them if it would solve the problem. Guarantee?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so you think at this point it is just a built-in software problem that can't be fixed in and of itself?

·
28,703 Posts
Maybe IE10 will solve this. Originally it wasn't supposed to be available to any OS but Windows 8. Now MS says Windows 7 users will be able to obtain it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.