Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PC with an xp os. The internet connection drops on the cable but works on the dsl modem.
Whenever I hook up a different computer to the cable modem the internet connection works fine but for some reason mine doesn't. I brought the PC to a different location and it is able to have a internet connection at that other location which has a dsl modem.:4-dontkno

Anybody has any ideas on what the problem might be?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
so to clarify your pc connects momentarily on cable broadband but then drops correct? are you using a ethernet connection or connecting to cable broadband via wireless? how are you connecting to the DSL modem that works fine with your computer with an ethernet cable or wireless? give us some specs on your pc? and have you tried any other pc's desktop or laptop with your cable broadband ?and if so how do they perform??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know man this is really weird. I have not heard of something like this.
So, here is the story: In my house I have a PC connecting directly to a cable modem, no router or anything. I tried my brother's laptop and it works fine.
I went to my cousin's house with my computer and hooked it up directly to his DSL modem and it works fine. So both the cable modem and the DSL modem work fine.
Its just that for some reason my PC is not liking my cable modem which does work...

I hope I was clear enough, and thank you again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I power cycled it a couple times.
I even reset it with a pen in the back of the modem.
Still no luck. The icon in the tray bar still says "Limited or no connectivity"

What could it be!?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would probably blame it on the modem, call up your ISP and get them to give you a new one (that is if you dont own it, if you do...erm well...).

XP doesnt have the greatest of resolutions for problems like that so it cannot really tell you much.

Try: Run: CMD > ipconfig/renew If that dont work try >ipconfig/release

It does sound like an odd problem, something is wrong with that specific IP on that computer. It does sound like the computer, but also a new modem sounds like it will be the solution as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.