Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

I have recently been using a Norton Ghost 2003 Dos boot disk to clone 120gb hdds. Now I have done several and evertime it takes just under an hour. Finally my IDE ribbon broke so I found another one spare and plugged it in.

Now every ghost I do in exactly the same manner is now taking 2 hours and 15 minutes! I have the hdds set up in line on the same IDE ribbon like before.

Do different ribbons have different data transfer rates? Do you think this could be the diff between a standard ATA100 and ATA133 cable?

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
I dont think there's a difference between 100 and 133 cables, they both are the same. You may have used an old 40pin/40conductor cable. You need to make sure and use a 40pin/80conductor cable. The cable will look almost the same except that it will be a little bit thinner than the older ones. Same number of wires tho.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has about 95gb of the 120gb full with data. Adomin so if I ask for a 40/80 pin connector ribbon they will know what I mean? How can I tell?

S

·
0 Posts
It will be thinner and have 80 wires running from ene to end. It will also have a blue colored connector for the motherboard end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK, the OLD ata 33 cable has all black connectors with 40 pins and 40 wires. It looks like this:

If you want to get your speed... Be sure to get an ATA 66/100 cable which has 40 pins and 80 wires. It looks like this:

The blue end connects to your controller card or motherboard.
The black end attaches to your master and/or single drive.
The gray endconnects to a second slave drive.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I do have the multicolured one but I may have the ends in the wrong ports. Hopefully that's all it is.

Cheers

S

·
0 Posts
I have one with a red connector
That's cause your special johnwill........................:D

I've seen some with different colors but they are few and far between.....................:confused:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
OK, I confess, all of the others in my drawer are like your picture. :D I have no idea what possessed the manufacturer to change the colors, maybe to set it apart?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.